• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie just had her VHD. anything I need to look out for?

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Just got back from the vets. Rosie has grown to 3kilo (is that right? lol) since she was last there :shock: Even the vet said she was a big bunny :lol: Anyway vet checked her over and she was all healthy for her jab. Got her back into her hutch and gave her some of her favorite treats to cheer her up. But I have heard about bad reactions to the VHD jab and I was wondering if there is anything I need to look out for incase she reacts to it. Also I have noticed whenever she goes into a car she dribbles quite badly and even though it is a quick 5-10 minute drive but she really doesn't like it and gets very dribbly and stuff :( Poor thing. Is it like car sickness? Does anyone else's bunny do this? Thanks

Depends which VHD jab she had.

Cylap - common side effects are a limp, inflamed / scabby area where the jab was / lethargy.
Lapinject
Anivac

Oh no I can't remember if it was Lapinject or Anivac...I think it was Lapinject. Sorry my memory is pretty awful sometimes :/

Any vaccine can cause mild or not so mild side effects. As Graham says, cylap is pretty notorious for theis, but it seems Rosie had one of the others.

Spenser had a mild local reaction to his first VHD jab (red patch on the back of his neck). Last year he was fine, although our vet used cylap (different vet has taken over, and as he is more rabbit savvy I suspect we'll be offered one of the other brads this year).

Just keep an eye on Rosie, and if in any doubt call the vet for advice. :wave:

I will keep an eye out and check how she is doing and where the injection is :) Luckily she doesn't mind me stroking her anymore so that should make it easier on me to get through all that fluff of hers lol

I would be a bit concerned by the dribbling in the car. Not something I've heard of, although a lot of buns find travelling stressful. Does she only do it in the car?

Yeah it is only ever in the car. I had her in the carrier for like half an hour this morning waiting for my mum to get ready to drive me. She was fine nibbling on a little hay I put in there but as soon as the car started moving she freezes in one corner and starts dribbling :/

Yeah it is only ever in the car. I had her in the carrier for like half an hour this morning waiting for my mum to get ready to drive me. She was fine nibbling on a little hay I put in there but as soon as the car started moving she freezes in one corner and starts dribbling :/

That sounds like a rather extreme fear response :( Poor Rosie, does she have a friend at all?

Yeah she does find the vets and the car quite an ordeal :( As the vet was preparing the injection she was exploring around the vet table and her legs were shaking really badly. She came up to me and put both front paws on my chest looking at me and looked like she just wanted to go home :( She doesn't have a friend no, but I am trying my best to convince my mum to let me adopt one. But mum is being difficult :/

Yeah she does find the vets and the car quite an ordeal :( As the vet was preparing the injection she was exploring around the vet table and her legs were shaking really badly. She came up to me and put both front paws on my chest looking at me and looked like she just wanted to go home :( She doesn't have a friend no, but I am trying my best to convince my mum to let me adopt one. But mum is being difficult :/

The climbing up Mummy bit is pretty normal, but the dribbling and shaking is a bit worrying. Do you put a blanket or toy from the hutch in her carrier - if not this could help reassure her.

I give her a blanket and some hay to nibble on. She has only been in the car to the vets 3 times. That is the only time I would really take her in the car. When I move out I am going to be taking the train to take her to where I plan to go. Trains are a lot quieter and more smooth then a car

Back