• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about possible worms?? Help?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Today when I cleaned out the litter trays I found 2 droppings with tiny white things in them. No sight of anything else.
Only one thing has changed - they've been out on the patio the last 2 days.

I noticed after they'd been out that there were small white bits in the gravel, apparently OH poured away some soapy water that had been soaking the grill pan and missed the drain, so I think it is fat.

Could this be related, or should I be worried about worms, or something else?? :oops:

Cant tell you if it looks like worms without seeing the offending poos !!

If you are concerned then you could worm both Buns using Panacur. Check with your Vet first xx

Cant tell you if it looks like worms without seeing the offending poos !!

If you are concerned then you could worm both Buns using Panacur. Check with your Vet first xx

Oops they are lost in the brown wheelie bin now! :lol: If I find any more tomorrow I will take a picture, and ask the vet about panacur. Hopefully I won't find any.

Would they need to see them or could they just advise do you think? Can I get panacur at a pet shop?
Money is tight at the mo as OH is out of work - of course if they need to go they will go, but if I can buy some myself if needed then every penny counts.

Also, apologies for all the questions, but if it is worms then does that mean I'm not cleaning well enough? Or am I mixing it up with flystrike? :oops:

Well I've just cleaned them and out thoroughly inspected their litter trays :lol:
No white things to be seen, I'm guessing someone ate something when they were out on the patio. Thanks for your advice, I'll keep an eye out over the next few days to be safe :)

That's good!

You don't need a vet prescription for Panacur. You can buy it online from the Hay Experts, Animed and plenty of other places.

Also, apologies for all the questions, but if it is worms then does that mean I'm not cleaning well enough? Or am I mixing it up with flystrike? :oops:

Many rabbits naturally carry a rabbit specific pinworm (Passalurus ambiguus) and even when you see them in the poo which indicates a high load, most rabbits still don't look remotely bothered.

I noticed this in my two a few months back and after I got over being disgusted (I've done extensive parasitology, something about it being in my own house and on my carpet made it sooo much worse!) I read up about it and it's not anything you can really prevent or blame your cleaning for it.

The good news is you can't catch them, but also they're easily treated with panacur so ask your vet :)
They look like this;
vers.jpg

an10-1055-s-0029-1220314-5.jpg

Back