• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urine samples? UD Still no wee AAAARRRGGHHHH

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Blue and Marnie are drinking about 1 and a bit litres of water a day....which I thought is a bit much so when they went for their myxi I spoke to the vet about it. He suggested blood test to check kidney and liver function.
Got the results back and they're inconclusive :roll:
They've now asked me to get a urine sample......how on earth am I going to do that?
the buns live together and are free range throughout the house....the only way I can come up with is to crate them alternately until one of them wees.
I've been given some katkor....but I think they will probably eat it :oops: They said that they need it un contaminated with hay...so I really don't know how I'm going to do it. They did try getting them manually but niether of their bladders were full enough.
anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
when had to get a sample off mowgli, they gaev me some white stuff that they use for cats, lke littlw balls soaks urine up then put syrng in and it sucked up hs wee for sample, thats all i put in hs tray i thought it would be hard, but he was on his own at the time so easy for me, suppose you'll have to come up with a aplan for 2 bunnies samples

when had to get a sample off mowgli, they gaev me some white stuff that they use for cats, lke littlw balls soaks urine up then put syrng in and it sucked up hs wee for sample, thats all i put in hs tray i thought it would be hard, but he was on his own at the time so easy for me, suppose you'll have to come up with a aplan for 2 bunnies samples

That sounds like the stuff they gave me. Problem is that Marnie will eat ANYTHING plasticy/rubbery :roll:

That sounds like the stuff they gave me. Problem is that Marnie will eat ANYTHING plasticy/rubbery :roll:

i thought mowgli would eat these but he didn;t or that he wouldn;t see where to go as he had cateracts at the time, but he was a good old boy

I often had to collect urine from my (late) Basil for testing. Again, I was given some white plastic beads to put into his litter tray and then I had to syringe the urine off. It worked for us because Basil didn't eat the beads, but I can imagine it would be a problem if your bun ate the beads. Just wondering if there was a way to hide the beads without contaminating the urine. I was thinking along the lines of putting the beads in one of those lingerie bags which are made out of fine netting and then just laying it in the litter tray. Hopefully it wouldn't contaminate or soak up the urine especially if the urine was syringed out quickly and the bag would stop the bun from eating the plastic beads (hopefully it wouldn't try to eat the bag). I can't think of any other option than of separating the buns until the deed is done.

Why do vets imagine it is so easy for us to get urine samples from our pets? My DH spends ages following the dog around with a halved plastic milk bottle when we need to get one from her. Not only does he look silly, the dog is petrified of the plastic milk bottle:lol:

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
When I had to get a sample from Thomas I just put him in a small pen on lino then syrringed it up once he'd been (nice and easy to clean up after too!). I didn't like the idea of the other stuff they offered in case he ate it :?

I had a rabbit that ate the balls so never use them. I normally follow them around with a small clean litter tray and wait for them to lift their tail and shove it under:oops: :lol::lol:

I had a rabbit that ate the balls so never use them. I normally follow them around with a small clean litter tray and wait for them to lift their tail and shove it under:oops: :lol::lol:

Both of them use their litter tray...unless you upset Blue and then he wees on the sofa :roll::oops:

Well....Blue went for a wee as I was setting up the crate...so I put Marnie in it instead. Rosie is now hysterical and keeps trying to let her out (Marnie stuck Mummy!) so I've shut both buns in the kitchen and put Mickey mouse on to try and distract her.
This could be an interesting morning :roll:
I could really do with 2 crates....but I only have the one. Or Karens massive one and put a divider in it :? ah well.....just have to see what happens.

Bloody Marnie has just thrown her water bowl everywhere....and then bitten me when I tried to clean it up
She's NEVER bitten me before :cry:

They are so used to having freedom I guess being crated must be an awful shock to them. They don't understand you are doing it for their own good. I can't imagine Marnie biting - Blue yes - but not Marnie.

You're welcome to borrow the crate if you need it. I am bonding today and probably tomorrow too so not going anywhere. Bored already!!!

We have wee from Marnie :D
Going to wait a little while to do Blue...let them have some time together

Still no wee from Blue. Think I will give up now...has to be delivered within 2 hours and Rosie has just gone down for her nap....
Will have to try tomorrow :(

Day 2 of crating Blue and he STILL HASNT WEED.
I really dont like crating him for such long periods of time...especially when he is obviously holding his wee :(
Anyone got any ideas?

Back