• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit Ralph :)

Poppy_Rabbit

New Kit
Hello everyone :)

I would like to introduce my new rabbit Ralph he is a dwarf lop and is 4 months old. My mum found him in the adoption section in our local p@h ( I know not the best place but we fell for this cheeky chap!) He is really friendly and was there becasue he has previously had snuffles which they said is under control now, we havent had a rabbit who has had this before but have him on megazorb and dust free hay to help stop a reoccurance. I have also bought him some Echinacea drops as saw these have previosly been used to help rabbits with snuffles stay well but wondered how much to give him?

Anyway here he is:
iphonepiccies006.jpg

We are planning to convert a dog cage into a rabbit friendly indoor cage for him so cant wait to get that done! :)

Thanks for looking :)

What a cute little bunny he is :love:

There are a lot of threads here about snuffles by owners who have bunnies with varying degrees of severity of the illness.
It can be set off by stress (and rabbits are quite easily stressed) so watch out for any things that may lead to flare-ups, which could include changes of environment or temperature, bonding. My Ada starts to sneeze more if she gets too cooped up for a few days, so she needs quite a lot of space to keep her happy.
Sometimes very small flare-ups, such as a slight increase in sneezing for a couple of days, may resolve themselves, I've found. But you need to keep an eye on the bun to make sure they don't get worse.

Owners on here who have more severe snuffles bunnies, such as GrahamL and biscandmatt1, also use nebuliser systems to help keep the illness under control.

Not all rescues will allow you to bond a healthy bunny with one who has a history of snuffles, but some don't mind so long as your rabbit is in good health at the time and you have the time and rescources to look after the problem if it recurs.

If you have a snuffles bunny it is important to have a good rabbit savvy vet as not all vets carry - or are aware of - the full range of antibiotics that can be used for the condition. A good rabbit vet will also have a lot of experience of doing the culture and sensitivity tests which may be necessary if the bunny doesn't respond to the first antibiotic tried. These are carried out under general anaesthetic and are quite expensive.
A vet who knows rabbits will also be better to judge his fitness for being neutered and getting vaccinations, given his history.

As the snuffles is a pre-existing condition, it is extremely unlikely that insurance will cover it. However, insurance should still pay out for other types of condition, including fairly common digestive problems such as stasis, provided he does not experience them in the first 14 days of cover.

I feed my bunny dried Coneflower (echinacea plant) but have not used drops. You could try asking on the end of this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?331417-success-with-giving-Baytril-thoughts-about-snuffles where echinacea has been used.

What a cute little bunny he is :love:

There are a lot of threads here about snuffles by owners who have bunnies with varying degrees of severity of the illness.
It can be set off by stress (and rabbits are quite easily stressed) so watch out for any things that may lead to flare-ups, which could include changes of environment or temperature, bonding. My Ada starts to sneeze more if she gets too cooped up for a few days, so she needs quite a lot of space to keep her happy.
Sometimes very small flare-ups, such as a slight increase in sneezing for a couple of days, may resolve themselves, I've found. But you need to keep an eye on the bun to make sure they don't get worse.

Owners on here who have more severe snuffles bunnies, such as GrahamL and biscandmatt1, also use nebuliser systems to help keep the illness under control.

Not all rescues will allow you to bond a healthy bunny with one who has a history of snuffles, but some don't mind so long as your rabbit is in good health at the time and you have the time and rescources to look after the problem if it recurs.

If you have a snuffles bunny it is important to have a good rabbit savvy vet as not all vets carry - or are aware of - the full range of antibiotics that can be used for the condition. A good rabbit vet will also have a lot of experience of doing the culture and sensitivity tests which may be necessary if the bunny doesn't respond to the first antibiotic tried. These are carried out under general anaesthetic and are quite expensive.
A vet who knows rabbits will also be better to judge his fitness for being neutered and getting vaccinations, given his history.

As the snuffles is a pre-existing condition, it is extremely unlikely that insurance will cover it. However, insurance should still pay out for other types of condition, including fairly common digestive problems such as stasis, provided he does not experience them in the first 14 days of cover.

I feed my bunny dried Coneflower (echinacea plant) but have not used drops. You could try asking on the end of this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?331417-success-with-giving-Baytril-thoughts-about-snuffles where echinacea has been used.

:thumb: Fantastic, awesome brilliant post Vita.

I have a decent, but not excellent knowledge of snuffles and its treatments, as we've been through everything. But hopefully with a suitable environment, nothing will occur.

P@H keep their rabbits bedded on wood shavings. Totally insufficient bedding, and often causes respiratory issues.

Thank-you all for the lovley comments and great advice on how to keep the chances of more snuffles to the minimum :) He doesnt seem too bad so fingers crossed it stays that way :)

Back