• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping hay tidy.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Is it even possible?

I have a bale in my bedroom in a duvet cover. I hoover every day and my floor is still covered with hay. I try and get hay for the chinnies and for Smoo at the same time to minimize mess but it doesn't work. Does having hay in plastic containers make it any less messy? Bags from the pet shop were always best because you could take the bag to the animal and shovel it straight were you wanted it.

My hoover broke a month or so ago and my room was horrendous! I swept it but it seemed to make no difference. We were given one last week luckily or I think my landlord would have had a heart attack if he came over.

Cardboard box (lets it breathe) and a dustpan and brush I find best :D:wave:

Oh and a good hoover as well of course! To be honest we have more problem with fur everywhere floating around - Poppy is a long haired fur monster! :lol:

We have a plastic storage box outside and bring it in in a big tub and then take the tub to the litter tray. It helps but with long haired Smudge it gets trasped through the room anyway. :roll:

Paper bags.;)
I portion mine out into paper bags OUTSIDE then I give it to the buns bag and all!
I put the loose that gets wasted when they eat it into their litter trays.
I keep about a weeks worth in portions in old pillow cases in case one of the paper bags does split:D

Do i get a prize? Do I do I???:lol::lol::lol:

I get bags of hay and pop them in a wicker washing basket :lol: Usually it is ok as I can lean over Pierres pen whilst spooning out the hay. It becomes a problem when lazy mummy has left the bag out and Pierre manages to rip it open.

hay! keeping it tidy? Id also love to know the answer...................the only sensible thing I can think of right now is to ask if we can hire the bunny fostered and then rehomed to a wonderful forever home named "Bouncer"....I def. remember pics of him carrying mouthfuls of hay and generally tidying up!:lol::lol::lol::lol::love::love::love::love:

Hay just seems to breed...It stays tidy for after a hoover for about 5 mins!:roll: I store my hay in the big box it comes in. But I still have hay everywhere...

The state of my house is shocking. Lola is a scaredy bun so I cannot vacuum when she is around. Instead I bought one of those manual sweepers (I imagine old people having them!) but at least I can pick bits up quickly if needed. It has rubber blades so hay doesn't get clogged up in bristles. I can't use it near her end of the room though as that freaks her out aswell, but at least I can do some of the house! If it is only a few bits at a time, then it is perfect just to keep on top of it.

I honestly dread people coming over as it is a massive mission to get the house tidy from hay, I have to take her in the carrier elsewhere while OH vacuums! I can never invite people in if they make a surprise visit, it's actually getting me down now :oops: they will be hopefully going out in the summer but then I am scared that she will be too nervous of the planes, and other noises outside and freak out again.

I havent found a way of keeping it contained yet! If the rabbits had a proper cage to put it in it might be easier, but they are (almost) free-range, and even when they were in the pen the pen floor was the actual room floor. It was tidier when Barney had his commercial cage base, but he still felt the need (and still does) to run around with bits of hay in his mouth spreading it about, and Annabelle's fur spreads it too! I find the most mess is getting it from bag to hay rack though, even if I hold it over!

Back