• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Binky has head tilt

Lindsay7

Young Bun
Hi I have been following Leesabuntime thread regarding her bunny as we are going through the same with our Binky. Last sunday night I went to give him and his girlfriend supper and to turn their light out for the night. I notice Binks was hopping and hobbling just as if his paw was giving him pain we checked and couldn't see anything wrong. He seemed ok apart from this, still eating etc so decided to get him checked by vet in morning. When I went in in the morning to my horror his head was severely tilted I knew straight away what it was and rushed him straight to the vets. He's on Panacur 28 day course meta cam and baytril. He's eating and drinking as normal but in last few days I'm having to syringe water into him as he is so titled he cannot get to his bottle and I'm scared he will flop into a bowl of water. He absolutely adores bio lapis which we are pleased about so this will help his tummy.

He is in a two by two foot box to keep him safe as he was just rolling around in his room before when he had too much space. Today is day seven and we are feeling much more positive as his balance has improved a lot he is still wobbly but staying up right much more now, head still tilted but he's sitting up more as the hrs go by. Hubby's been off all week for half term and I'm sure his improvement has been down to him constantly sitting with him hand feeding him strands of hay, veg and pellets and changing his bedding so he's not getting wet. We have him on towels with puppy pads on top with bumpers round the edge for him to lean on.

As I said we are more positive as the days go by but we realise this is going to be a long job to hopefully getting him well again. He's five next month so not really young but he is a little trooper so hopefully he will pull round.

Hubby just said what if he is still dizzy after his 28 day course of treatment are bunnys normally ok my then or can it take longer and if so what meds need to be given after or do we just carry on after the 28 days with the same meds but just for until he is better?

Sorry it's a long essay and thanks for reading

Lindsay Ken and Binky x

I'm sorry you're having such a battle.

I would suggest getting his 'down' ear swabbed and a culture and sensitivity test done. That will allow you to find the right antibiotic because Baytril is generally completely ineffective against an infection that causes head tilt.

I'm sorry you're having such a battle.

I would suggest getting his 'down' ear swabbed and a culture and sensitivity test done. That will allow you to find the right antibiotic because Baytril is generally completely ineffective against an infection that causes head tilt.

Thanks, i will organise this to be done his ears where checked and all seemed normal I keep checking them as well for inflammation I'm even smelling them! Pretty sure Binks thinks I'm crazy sniffing him all the time. Is it possible to have EC without the ear infection or does the head tilt always mean middle ear infection? Sorry to ask all these questions what might appear to be daft questions but I have totally given myself a headache reading so much about this topic that I'm baffled. Is Zithromax the best antibiotic for head tlit I have used this before on one of my guinea pigs when he kept getting URIs which finally cleared him up after baytril and septrin were useless.

Thanks, i will organise this to be done his ears where checked and all seemed normal I keep checking them as well for inflammation I'm even smelling them! Pretty sure Binks thinks I'm crazy sniffing him all the time. Is it possible to have EC without the ear infection or does the head tilt always mean middle ear infection? Sorry to ask all these questions what might appear to be daft questions but I have totally given myself a headache reading so much about this topic that I'm baffled. Is Zithromax the best antibiotic for head tlit I have used this before on one of my guinea pigs when he kept getting URIs which finally cleared him up after baytril and septrin were useless.

Different people have different beliefs on this. Mine is that the only time I would consider EC and head tilt as directly correlated would be if the rabbit was already exhibiting extensive EC signs (weak back left leg, issues with the eye, renal failure, etc). The majority of head tilt cases often appear to be infections that are not treated correctly. EC can lower the immune system and bring on an infection and most bunnies could test positive for EC but show no signs or symptoms and just carry it dormant, like with pastuerella. Also, an infection is not always going to be visible or identifiable without a swab and culture, so its not necessarily the case that you will see or smell something.

My Tilly was on her antibiotics for 3 months, and that was after having head tilt for a long time prior to that and also 2 months of Panacur once she reached the rescue. She only showed signs of improvement with the antibiotics- they turned her life around. We didn't swab, just treated as we believed we should (and my vet agreed obviously, but we were trying a brand-new-to-rabbits-in-his-experience med on my suggestion). We did the same when another one of mine showed signs of head tilt, and she actually had renal failure, but we never treated with Panacur, just the antibiotics.

The Culture and Sensitivity test will show which antibiotic will be effective against it. Zithromax would be an option, as would an injectable penicillin maybe.

Hi Lindsay7
Hope your wee binky gets well soon. Yor hubby spuds like he is doing a great job :) its hard work!
It's such a horrible illness to watch. My kids are heartbroken as am I as we are going through the same thing.
Unfortunately it looks like our wee George won't make it. His other ear looks like its infected now and I know the vet will offer euthanasia tomorrow. Hes had a great life growing up with the kids.It's so distressing for my kids to watch him too. My daughter is so sad.

We had an ear culture done yesterday but it's probably too late. But try get one done ASAP!
And make sure ur bunny has pain relief and anti nausea meds for the dizziness.

Sending lots of bunny hugs for u all.
Leesa.

Well we are into week three of Binkys head tilt and he has now been taken off the baytril and has had two penicillin injections that last a week, a day after his first penicillin injection he picked up so much. He is now sitting up and walking a lot more, his head is still tilted but im confident we are over the worst. He just needs to get more balance back having said that he had enough balance to dig up the new vet bed that i bought him!

He has been eating well throughout and he is even steady enough now to be able to use his water bottle again. I have booked him a course of 3 Reiki sessions and his first is tonight so hopefully that will help him even more.

Lindsay x

Hi

We are now going into week five of Binkys head tilt, he is on Depocillin injections, panacur and having Reiki sessions, he had three last week. He is now sitting up alot walking without violent flipping or rolling. He flops after sitting or walking for a long time as he gets tired but he is even managing to sit up right in the car and at the vets.

He loves nothing more than sitting on our laps for a massage and foot rub yes hes spoilt and pampered :love:

Vet said to carry on with panacur even after 28 day course. Wondering how long you guys with experience think we should keep going with Depocillin and panacur for. Dont want to keep pumping him full of meds if he doesnt need them, or do i just keep up the meds until he is fully steady on his feet again.

We are back at the vets again tonight for another jab and check up.
Lindsay x

Our buns have had baytril, lapizole, emeprid injection, colvasone 50ml injection and are coming through fine so far with lots of rest- minimal handling except to medicate. We find cardboard bedding works well to maintain balance- a nice layer. Hay raised off the ground where possible to stop them consuming hay that has urine spores on it. We have also just removed the water bowls and put bottles on to stop the chance of contamination via the route of rabbits using the bowl as a toliet which does happen occasionally. Reinfection is via ingesting spores shed in the urine. We are using trigene to wash down daily and disinfect bowls. After using everything should be rinsed thoroughly before reintroducing your bunny. There is a problem with the enter key at the moment so apologies this is not formatted correctly. We have continued with lapizole longer than 28 days. I'm sure your vets will advise on the best course of action. Vibes for Mr Binky getting well soon!

Hiya,

I kept my Kermit on Panacur and Baytril for 6 weeks. He was left with a head tilt but just managed to live with it.

Sounds like you have one spoilt bunster there!!

Kermit was never fully steady on his feet, he could run about (in a circle at times), but he did still roll from time to time :(

I'm sorry I have missed this thread - you have been doing so much to keep this little bun going and on the mend.

Buttercup had head tilt caused by EC two years ago now and I am pleased to say has made a full recovery to date.

We used panacur for just over 28 days - probably about 35 simply because we had some left in the bottle - we used the 10% solution.

I found metacam made Buttercup comfortable and with it being a painkiller and anti inflamatory this made sense as the damage done by EC in the brain would benefit from the anti inflamatory and the painkiller gave her relief from the twisted neck.

Has your bun been tested for EC or are you treating for an ear infection or both - covering all bases! We'll do anything for them won't we!! :)

Have you panacured both your buns? And do you know about bleach cleaning - one part bleach, 9 parts water and then rinsing everything very well before letting them go back in etc. We have tiled and wooden floors and I bleach all I can every 28 days anyway - I've turned in to a bleach fanatic :oops:

I am pleased to hear your bun is improving, it is a slow, long process but they can and do go on to live full, happy lives.

Good luck!

Ruth & Buttercup

Over the past 5 weeks we have read all about bleaching/cleaning etc so pretty much clued up on this awful illness. Hes kept on vet bed and puppy pads to ensure he is safe, clean, dry and warm.

His partner bunny Ella has been treated with a 28 day course and our house rabbit has also had a 28 day to be on the safe side as they share the same garden, plus Binks is living inside at the moment.

Took him to the vets last night and he sat up lovely all the way there previous weeks the car rides really upset his balance. He even sat up on the vet table and walked on the consult room floor!

She is so pleased with him that he had his last depocillin injection last night hes now had 5 weeks of antibiotics. We are carrying on after the 28 day course of panacur just a bit longer to be on the safe side. He has gained so much more of his balance back and now happily hops around on the lawn munching grass. He occasionally flops i think he gets tired easily so like the vet said its a slow job but he is improving well so *touch wood* we are getting there.

His head is still tilted but he is managing to get around well and hes never stopped eating or drinking i think thats really helped him recover staying on his food so well.

Lindsay x

Back