• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Regular health checkups for healthy buns?

Thumper98

Warren Scout
Hi there,

I was wondering if it is advisable to bring bunnies in for a health check every say, 8 - 12 months? My buns are currently healthy and have no problems, but like humans, I wonder if regular check at the vets (teeth, eyes, weight etc) is useful just in case...

Like most rabbits, traveling isn't their favourite hobby so there is some stress involved - not extreme, but still... so I dont want to bring them in if there's no real reason to.

Thanks! :wave:

I think a annual check up is generally a good idea, as long as the bun doesn't get really stressed out about vet trips.Then it might be more harm than good.

Most people on here have their buns checked over when they take them for vaccinations. Does Switzerland have myxi/VHD?

I would think it is a good idea to have apparently 'well' Rabbits health checked by a Vet every 6 months. If they have known issues such as Dental problems then IMO they should be seen by a Vet every 4-6 weeks.

I think a annual check up is generally a good idea, as long as the bun doesn't get really stressed out about vet trips.Then it might be more harm than good.

Most people on here have their buns checked over when they take them for vaccinations. Does Switzerland have myxi/VHD?

Thanks. I will schedule their check up in the summer then. I have tried asking about mxyxi/VHD at the vets, but was assured that there is no need for that in Switzerland, even less so since they are house buns.

My vet does a health check every myxo jab.(6 months)
We knew Lily had teeth problems so that was monthly, but if I ever had concerns, I would take other bunnies with me.

Back