• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little bit of advice needed..please

MrBungie

New Kit
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a little issue my bun has ?

When I went to feed and clean his hutch this morning I noticed that his right eye lids were pinker then normal and his fur seemed a little wet around them, I called my vet and they said to wash/rinse his eye with some saline solution once a day and take him to them if it hasn't cleared up by Wednesday they think its properly just an irritant than anything else. That was fun to do as he was given to me be a friend who decided they wanted a dog instead, he was never handled by them so its a work in progress between us for him to trust and be comfortable enough withe me to do anything like what was needed here.

This is what his eye looked like earlier,

Is there anything else I can do for him or is it just sit and wait ?
He was perfectly normal hopping around me as I cleaned his hutch and he's now chilling in the shade (honstly if you could see him you'd know what I mean he is chilled :lol:) Oh and if its relevant his bedding is wood shavings from p@H and his hay.

Thanks in advance.

Remove his wood shavings immediately, the wind may be blowing and irritating his eyes?

I know members on here say not to use wood shavings for various reasons. I just use a small amount to soak up urine in my bun's litter tray.

Hope your bun feels better soon

My goodness really ?
I never though of that (how bad does that make me sound :( ) I've been told over and over its good to give him a layer of shavings upstairs and downstairs of his hutch, just found the site so am digging through posts to find out more looks like some people I know don't know what they are talking about after all :censored:, right off to go remove it.
Thank you so much.

Can you make the photos bigger as they are too small to be able to see his eyes

Is he vaccinated against Myxomatosis ?

My goodness really ?
I never though of that (how bad does that make me sound :( ) I've been told over and over its good to give him a layer of shavings upstairs and downstairs of his hutch, just found the site so am digging through posts to find out more looks like some people I know don't know what they are talking about after all :censored:, right off to go remove it.
Thank you so much.

Your not the only one! I used to as well, then read that it's not a good idea for bunnys or G'pigs etc. Now my buns have Newspaper on the floor (can get them dirty feet :)) and personly i dont use straw (due to my now indoor bun having a prob with it. but outside bun has loads of hay for bedding and of cause eating,

I try to give the hay a good shake also before giving to both buns so there isnt to much dust, i think some people even wash it. Hope his eyes are better soon :wave:

Back