• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental needed or is it a gassy tummy?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
As most of you know Jimby and Cookie for that matter have both had quite frequent episodes of illues/statis the past few months. our vets are very good and always check teeth, he said that Jimby does have some spurring on the bottom molor teeth but nothing that should be bothering him.
Well tonight I saw him tummy press, he then huddled up in his potty, he then was not overly fussed about his dinner. then he flipped back to being ok again and ate his dinner, i have tricked him in to having some infacol, zantac and fiberplex as that can be done without stressing him out. he is now huddled again.
my husband thinks he just suffers badly with gas, im not sure what tl think?

I'd say follow your gut instincts.

Not all spurs can be identified on visual examination without a GA and also small spurs can cause some bunnis excrutiating problems, whereas other bunnies tolerate horrednous spurs really quite well.

I dont know what my gut is telling me to be honest. I think it is a good idea to talk to my vet next week and see if he thinks it is worth doing a dental. he did say he would probably need to sedate him, obviously this concerns me as it would any bunny owner, is there a light sedation that can be used rather than a GA?

I dont know what my gut is telling me to be honest. I think it is a good idea to talk to my vet next week and see if he thinks it is worth doing a dental. he did say he would probably need to sedate him, obviously this concerns me as it would any bunny owner, is there a light sedation that can be used rather than a GA?

He will require a full GA if he is to have a thorough Dental. It is impossible to do it any other way.'Conscious Dentals' are just fire-fighting and they can never equate to a comprehensive procedure done under GA.

He will require a full GA if he is to have a thorough Dental. It is impossible to do it any other way.'Conscious Dentals' are just fire-fighting and they can never equate to a comprehensive procedure done under GA.

He always used to have concious dentals which worked for him but the vet thinks he has got a bit more fiesty and may not allow him to do it consious now. Is there a light sedation that can be used just to calm him down?

The risks of a GA are very minimal, and the better the vet and the healthier the rabbit, the lesser the risk. There will always be a small risk, but it really is tiny. At the end of the day, if he has teeth issues then your choices are 'risk' the procedure, have him PTS or let him suffer. I know right off that you would never do the last one, ever, and the middle one will only happen if he is at risk of the last one, which leaves the option of the first one. Remember, if he needs it, then it's best for him to have it done. :)

I understand what you are saying Sky but I couldnt risk putting him through a GA to 'SEE' if he has teeth problems. I would rather the vet try and do a consious dental and if need be use a gental sedation first.

I understand what you are saying Sky but I couldnt risk putting him through a GA to 'SEE' if he has teeth problems. I would rather the vet try and do a consious dental and if need be use a gental sedation first.

That would be much more stressful for him, his blood cortisol levels would hit the roof and that can be far more of a risk than a GA.

You need to look at what is best for Jimby though, not you.

I'm also not saying put him through a GA to see if he needs a dental, just, if he needs a dental then he needs a dental, which, for the majority of rabbits, means a GA is necessary for their wellbeing.

Back