• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Surgical adhesions

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
How long can they take to form after an abdominal op? Is there a cut off point in time when you can say they are definitely not going to form now?

Thanks x

Seems like thats a no then :lol: It always makes me feel better if no-one else knows the answers to the questions I ask, means I'm not as thick as I thought i was;)

Anyway something is just not right with genvieve these last couple of days, nothing I can put my finger on, just a niggle :? I thought I might be imagining it but Steve can see it too, so will be phoning vets on Monday for her

Adhesions usually form rapidly and if they are going to cause a significant problem I would expect it to become obvious within a couple of weeks post surgery

IME it is usually reduced gut motility/recurrent gut stasis, unformed cecotrophs, recurrent cystitis

Its been 5 weeks now :?

I hope the cancer hasn't returned :( I can feel a lump on her tummy but think it could be the end of the spay wound :?

She is eating well but is not as bright and doesn't have her normal young bunny spark. Just sort of sits around and eats when it is put in front of her instead or racing to the bars

With Damson it took at least 6 weeks (cant quite recall) . . and they did not really start to cause problems for about 2-3 months. His was a very big op (kidney removal) with most of the intestines moved around . .

With Damson it took at least 6 weeks (cant quite recall) . . and they did not really start to cause problems for about 2-3 months. His was a very big op (kidney removal) with most of the intestines moved around . .

I had a horrible feeling it could take a while :? I was hoping you might reply. Thank you x

She is seeing the vet in the morning. The lump on her tummy is pea size and hard and doesn't seem to be related to the spay wound :? Also, I may be imagining it but her breathing needs checking too

Genna has responded well to metacam so is obviously in some pain. The vet thinks it could be adhesions forming :cry: She is to come back off the pain relief to see if she deteriorates and is being re examined on wednesday to see where to go from there depending on how she is without pain relief

so sorry to hear this - we could not believe how long they took to form with Damson - its so cruel as you think they are 'out of the woods' and the surgery was ages ages etc etc - and then the adhesions set in. I recall there was a med they could have at time of surgery to help prevent them forming BUT they could not have it if they had renal problems - and Damson's was a kidney op. Jacks Jane will doubtless know the drugs name - I have forgotten

Back