• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why has my 18 month old Frisky died? :(

Kellybek

New Kit
Hi i have just discovered my rabbit has died suddenly and i have no idea why. He seemed healthy and happy he was so tame and friendly i am so upset. He was vaccinated all up to date so this is why its so unexpected? I got him neutered 6 months ago and it went well he was absolutely fine. Does anyone have any ideas why this has happened? He was in a trio there were 2 females with him they all played well together no fighting or anything. :(

I am so sorry.:(
The thing with bunnies, is they hide pain and stuff.If he had bloat or GI Stasis, he wouldnt have said anything.
They go downhill very quickly.
Is there a possibility you can get the girls looked at by a vet just in case they have something they caught from him???

So sorry to hear of your sad loss. As said above, bunnies hide any illness very well indeed and you have to know their every facial expression and habbits to know if they're 'not quite right'.

Was he eating and acting normally this morning when you gave him his breakfast? I know if any of mine aren't sat waiting for their food, there's something wrong.

Yes i am going to get them checked as i am worried if they have got something. They are so well looked after they have at least a 10Ft double hutch with heat pads in there. :cry:

Sometimes bunnies are unhealthy inside, there's a lot of bad breeding that goes on, especially in bunnies from pet shops, meaning sometimes, they simply just die, without any warning.

The only way that might tell you anything is a post mortem, but even they can be inconclusive sometimes.

Sorry for your loss :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's very new and a huge shock so be patient with yourself.

No one can tell you why he died, sadly- the potential causes comprise a long list. Only a post mortem will be able to give you a better idea.

I hope your two girls are ok.

they look ok and well
but i have just gave them both worming drops
they have had all the jab frisky had his myxy jab really was my baby xxxx :cry: :cry:

Something that may give you some comfort is that you loved him very much, you made sure he had a lovely life with companion buns and you'll always remember him. There are a lot of buns out there that aren't so lucky, ever. So while he may have died much too young, he was a very fortunate rabbit and you were blessed to have known him.

I am really very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were a brilliant mummy.

A post mortern would be your only chance of discovering what happened, but as someone else said, still may not give you an answer.

I hope your girls are ok and lots of love to all of you x

they look ok and well
but i have just gave them both worming drops
they have had all the jab frisky had his myxy jab really was my baby xxxx :cry: :cry:

So sorry you lost your little bun. Are your bunnies vaccinated against both myxi and VHD? You only mentioned myxi but they should have separate vaccinations for both. I hope your other buns are ok. *big hugs*

Thankyou all for your comments, i have just got back from the vets Honey and Tigerlilly are beautifully healthy he said :D such a relief. He said there are so many sudden deaths in rabbits its hard to say what happened to Frisky :( so i am still none the wiser why this happened just have to accept that sometimes they die, even though it is really hard :cry:
But im glad my girls are ok.
xxx

Back