• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam every 8 hours?

weedug

Mama Doe
Is there any point in splitting Timmy's daily metacam dose into 3, and giving it every 8 hours as opposed to every 12?

I haven't heard of it given 8 hourly, only twelve so can't comment I am afraid.:( I think you'd need to check with your vet though.:(

It "should" last them the 12 hours, so my concern with a 3 way split would be that a smaller dose would be given and you wouldn't get the same level of effect. Are you finding that it appears to wear off after 8 hours? If you are then speak with your vet, if not and it was just a general question then I would stick at 12.

I was asking for Timmy. He has been struggling with pain from his eye ulcers, especially first thing in the morning.

I didn't think it was given every 8 hours. Just thought I would ask :wave:

Just a thought, I have no idea how feasible this is for a rabbit but your vet will be able to advise. You can get local anaesthetic eye drops and I wonder if these may help him first thing in the morning. They use them on people when they are doing stuff to your eyes to just numb the surface of the eye. This risk with them is that if you then get something in your eye, you don't feel it (in people they make you where a patch afterwards if you are going outside), but if Timmy is an indoor bun it could be worth asking your vet about it if he is in so much pain first thing in the morning. Like I say, might not be feasible at all but if he's really struggling it's worth an ask.

Thanks so much for this. I will ask when we're next there. Might not be suitable though as Timmy has already hurt his eye a couple of times by walking into things :(

:wave: we have given metacam 2 daily for little Oscar~D (it has been the full dose of 0.3mls x 2) around 8 hrs apart, for the first few days after each 'cystitis attack' (on the say so of our rabbit savvy vet). Could you explore a different type of pain relief with your vet?. We now have an injectable pain relief called Vetergesic (buprenorphine) for when the metacam doesn't work.

Back