• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

losing hair in tufts?!?!?!?

nitza

Young Bun
So a couple of months ago, my lil girl, Lily, started malting..then began losing her hair in small tufts. We rang our vets, and they said that if it didn't stop after a few weeks, we should take her in. After a couple of weeks, she was still malting, so we took her to the vets and they said she had gotten mites...and they probably both had them when we adopted them :(, so we revoloutioned them both every 2 weeks for 6 weeks as directed. We finished their last treatment 2 weeks ago, but now my lil boy, James is losing his hair in tufts!! :?
His is waay worse then Lily's was, and his fur is all mottled looking and patchy :( It doesn't really fall out as such though, but if i stroke him...I end up with a giant clump of fur in my hand!! However, nothing comes out if I brush him!!
I was wondering, should we be concerned again?? Shouldn't the revoloution still be working?? Should I just let him be, instead of trying to get the loose hair out???
HELP PLZ!!!!

What does the skin look like? Is there fur growing where the other fur is falling out?

To be honest....I can't really tell! Everytime I try to part his fur...there's just more fur!! Its everywhere...
He is also a really nervy bun, so it makes it loads harder to look at him, as it freaks him out alot :(

i have a bun with bad fur lose she even gets bald patches vet said could be mites,ringworm or a severe moult which they have at around 6 months old

Last edited:
Just sounds like a heavy moult tbh. My old bun used to moult like you wouldn't believe. It looked like he was loosing his fur but he was just moulting his winter coat out. In winter he had longish brown fur and in summer he would moult in patches where you could see the short dark grey fur coming through. I panicked at first until I realised it was a normal moult :) His fur came out in handfuls. I hope this helps, I would only really worry if it was leaving bald patches or the skin looked red, scabby or both.

Hope this helps.

Just sounds like a heavy moult tbh. My old bun used to moult like you wouldn't believe. It looked like he was loosing his fur but he was just moulting his winter coat out. In winter he had longish brown fur and in summer he would moult in patches where you could see the short dark grey fur coming through. I panicked at first until I realised it was a normal moult :) His fur came out in handfuls. I hope this helps, I would only really worry if it was leaving bald patches or the skin looked red, scabby or both.

Hope this helps.

This does sound like what he has, he is a blue grey dutch x, and is only malting on his back, and the hair coming out is very light grey.....but, I live in Australia...we're just finishing summer, and getting ready for winter... :?

Yes but he could be moulting out his summer fur? Is an indoor or outdoor bunny? I really wouldn't be worried if he isn't going bald like I said. Does he have thick fur normally? I had a bun with a double coat and she used to moult her summer fur in clumps because they tend to moult out their undercoat as well. She was a harlequin though so didn't change her colour and wasn't such a dramatic change, I daresay if she was an outdoor bun she would have been 100 times worse!

Back