• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New neighbours have a rabbit - U/D P62 Binkies! :D

I've been away on holiday all week and came back last night. I was so happy to see my bunnies and was glad to be home but then my mum said "next door have got a rabbit".We had some neighbours move next door, they used to live across the road but moved because the house was a bit bigger so I sort of know them. The family are lovely people but they have a bunny. I saw it last night but can see it better this morning. I'm not really nosey :oops: you can see straight into their garden from my garden. :oops: Ok so maybe a bit nosey! :lol: But this little bun- a lion head is in a 4ft x 1ft double hutch which is way too small for it. I can see a run, it's one of those small triangle ones so the bun prob doesn't get much exercise. The family have 3 small children. :? Hopefully they can see my bunnies shed and aviary and think they need to get their bun bigger accommodation and then hopefully a friend but if not I need to let them know what they have for their rabbit is too small. How can I tell them politely, they are lovely people, I'm guessing they just don't know. :(

Last edited:
If they're lovely people I'd wait for a reasonably nice day, invite them over for cofee and show them your bunnies - I'm sure they'd be interested in being nosey too! You can use it as a starting point to get the conversation in the right direction?

If they're lovely people I'd wait for a reasonably nice day, invite them over for cofee and show them your bunnies - I'm sure they'd be interested in being nosey too! You can use it as a starting point to get the conversation in the right direction?

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Getting them to see your set up and meet your bunnies is a good plan and you can explain about why they need space and a friend, etc, and keep it friendly and offer to help if they need help, etc.

how about a hutch is not enought leaflet slipping it throught their letterbox maybe :)
or you could show them your awsome set up or something:D

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Getting them to see your set up and meet your bunnies is a good plan and you can explain about why they need space and a friend, etc, and keep it friendly and offer to help if they need help, etc.

Agree with this. Get chatting about them once they see yours, maybe even mention this forum and/or make it clear you can offer advice/help when needed. They'll be grateful rather than get offensive and slowly you might be able to 'help them' make improvements. ;)

Yeah I like the idea of inviting them over on a nice day, maybe when it is warmer so you can sit in the garden ;) And then just let your bunnies bouncing around in the huge run grab their attention and you can have a chit chat about it. People are always willing to change if they feel a positive vibe about advice and stuff so it is much better then arguing facts at them :thumb:

see id be a little more subtle and put a billboard with a hutch is not enough sign up in the garden:lol:

hope you can help them see the error of their ways xxx

Thanks for the advice everyone. :) Since I posted this... the rabbit has still NOT come out of the hutch! i could cry, poor thing. I thought I'd leave it a bit because the neighbours had only just moved in and maybe bunny wasn't top of their mind then but there have been some lovely days and the poor thing is still stuck in that prison! :censored: I'm fed up, they have a tiny run but haven't even bothered to put the bun in there. It has just sat there all day and all night since I first saw it. I'm going to post some housing leaflets through the door and if that fails I will be talking to them.

I asked RWAF for some housing leaflets but I got sent a car sticker instead. So I printed off a Dear Rabbit Owner letter and posted it today. I ran round, I hope no one saw me :oops: It's kind of obvious it's from me though because our bunnies have huge housing and we're the only people who can see their hutch! :lol: They should have got it by now... I don't think anyone was in when I posted it. I hope there's an improvement and that they are not offended by the letter.

I had to send it though, the rabbit hasn't been out of the hutch once since I came home from my holiday! :cry: There's no toys or anything, the poor thing must be so bored. :(

I understand the distress this must be causing you.

I had a similar situation, I posted many letters and leaflets but nothing changed for the rabbit.
Eventually I went to the door, they said they were sick of the hassal they had had from people so said they were going to advertise it on internet.
I ended up with another rabbit:shock: (she is a wonderful bun:love:)
I hope your neighbours will take notice of your educational letters and that they will be able, and willing to look after their own rabbit.

Well done for caring and taking action. I hope something changes and that they don't get angry if they work out it was you :wave:! The letter is nicely worded though so hopefully they won't

Thanks everyone, if things don't improve then we will probably invite them round as suggested earlier. Just not had chance to recently. They're having some work done on the house and with 3 kids wouldn't be able to over for a chat until summer anyway. Thought I'd leave it a while just to see if the bunny does come out of the hutch but no. :(

Maybe part of them does care and they just don't know how to care for it properly but if they did care then surely they'd let it out for cuddles at least? :?

I understand the distress this must be causing you.

I had a similar situation, I posted many letters and leaflets but nothing changed for the rabbit.
Eventually I went to the door, they said they were sick of the hassal they had had from people so said they were going to advertise it on internet.
I ended up with another rabbit:shock: (she is a wonderful bun:love:)
I hope your neighbours will take notice of your educational letters and that they will be able, and willing to look after their own rabbit.

Thank you, it is awful knowing the bunny is there and yes I know it's nosey but I can't help but look to see if it's been let out of the hutch. I just hope they do something know they've got the letter.

Aww bless :love: Lucky bunny to have found a home with you in the end. :D

well done! Id pop round and ask if they got your letter and look excited about it!;):p
Id def. ask how the move has been and how they settling in.....say youd love them over for a cuppa so they can see your buns ....good luck and well done for making an effort..poor bunny!

Back