• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever have to remind yourself...

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
That you should just walk away if you see cute baby bunnies for sale? I use my local pet shop to get supplies as they are only 2 minutes down the road and they are quite good for a pet shop with well looked after animals etc. I always check on the animals to make sure they are being well looked after but then I get caught up with how cute the bunnies are and end up staring at them for like 10 minutes :oops: I am looking to find a bunny to have as a friend for Rosie so I get all these ideas. And then I have to tear myself away saying how I can't have one and it is better to adopt a bunny instead of buy one and then I feel terrible. But they are so cute and I find it so hard to pull myself away from them :love:

Does anyone else have this problem???

Oh yes. I usually have my hubby with me though who pulls me away! Good job really else we'd be overrun with cute bunnies!

Just find a Pet Shop that does not sell livestock. Then you are not supporting their trade by giving them your money xx

No, but I do feel sorry for them. I get my cute baby fix when i foster babies for rescues. Then i get the pleasure of babies but I'm sticking by my morals and beliefs too :thumb:

I don't go into Pet Shops if I can possibly avoid it. If I do get caught short and need something for Spenser I go to Pets at Home, where I can quickly get to the bunny supplies without looking at the actual rabbits. This is actually better than sending my parents for me, as they come back and tell me all about the cute bunnies. :roll:

Just find a Pet Shop that does not sell livestock. Then you are not supporting their trade by giving them your money xx

I know I should but unfortunately all of the pet shops in the local area sell animals whether it be small shops with 2 or so piggies/ rabbits or big chain pet shops :( I don't have a car so can't go anywhere else. I try to buy online as much as I can

No, but I do feel sorry for them. I get my cute baby fix when i foster babies for rescues. Then i get the pleasure of babies but I'm sticking by my morals and beliefs too :thumb:

Yeah I feel really sorry for them too, I wish I could at least help with fostering and everything. But I doubt my mum would enjoy having bunnies and guinea pigs everywhere no matter how cute they were :roll: maybe when I move out

Yes.
I also have a habit of giving the baby bunnies extra hay and stuff.

Got v. annoyed at my local PAH the other week (OH went to JJB and I was bored so I went to squee at the babies). In the enclosure where they keep the bucks there was a very sad situation. One bun was sick (runny eye, loads of yellow discharge round his eye) and had clearly been bullied by the other buns. He had bites all over him, and was sat in one corner being ignored while all the other bucks snuggled together. They were also bedded on urine soaked shavings which were sticking to this poor boy's wounds :cry: He was so skinny and had no sparkle in his eyes at all. He looked so tired :cry: So I asked them nicely if they would fix it and watched while they swept out the shavings and replaced them with lots and lots of hay. Also asked the vet in the companion care to come and take a look at them to make sure they weren't all sick. He couldn't believe that the baby bunny with all the bite marks and the runny eye hadn't been brought to his attention by the staff. He lodged a complaint himself, believe he took the boy home himself too.

If I can do something to help them like get their bedding changed, and get the vet to make sure they're healthy I feel better. At least if the people buying them see them on loads of hay they might actually think to use lots of hay themselves.
I know I can't take them home, but I also know they deserve better than the treatment they receive. I like to think it makes at least some difference to their futures.

I hate to think of the life that poor baby boy bun would've had if no one had advocated for him.

Yes.
I also have a habit of giving the baby bunnies extra hay and stuff.

Got v. annoyed at my local PAH the other week (OH went to JJB and I was bored so I went to squee at the babies). In the enclosure where they keep the bucks there was a very sad situation. One bun was sick (runny eye, loads of yellow discharge round his eye) and had clearly been bullied by the other buns. He had bites all over him, and was sat in one corner being ignored while all the other bucks snuggled together. They were also bedded on urine soaked shavings which were sticking to this poor boy's wounds :cry: He was so skinny and had no sparkle in his eyes at all. He looked so tired :cry: So I asked them nicely if they would fix it and watched while they swept out the shavings and replaced them with lots and lots of hay. Also asked the vet in the companion care to come and take a look at them to make sure they weren't all sick. He couldn't believe that the baby bunny with all the bite marks and the runny eye hadn't been brought to his attention by the staff. He lodged a complaint himself, believe he took the boy home himself too.

If I can do something to help them like get their bedding changed, and get the vet to make sure they're healthy I feel better. At least if the people buying them see them on loads of hay they might actually think to use lots of hay themselves.
I know I can't take them home, but I also know they deserve better than the treatment they receive. I like to think it makes at least some difference to their futures.

I hate to think of the life that poor baby boy bun would've had if no one had advocated for him.

Awww that poor little guy :cry: so glad you helped him out. I hate it when I see animals like that, it is why if I have to shop at a pet shop, I am at my local one and not P@H or something. They always have healthy looking bunnies and pigs, no runnyness or discharge and they are always laying stretched out snoozing in hay or hoping around. And they are always cleaning them out regularly before they close for the day. Last time I had to go to P@H (local didn't have any hay in at the time) I ended up nearly crying because there was this beautiful giant house rabbit stuck in this enclosed tank type housing and was gagging to cool down and get some fresh air at the gap in the door :cry: No one seemed bothered to do anything about it though and ended up having to leave hoping he would be alright

I do get tempted by baby bunnies in pet shops, but so far have managed to be strong. Its not just bunnies either, all animals have the same effect. I find it hardest when I see the signs on the side fo the road "baby bunnies for sale" and I worry about them a lot.

Back