• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How safe is microchipping a bunny?

Alleycat

Alpha Buck
Before leaving for Serbia I need to have both buns either microchipped or tattooed - does anyone have any experience with this, and which one is less painful for the rabbits?

Microchipping is totally fine, all my buns have been microchipped over the years and never had an issue.

Def better than a tattoo!

:wave:

Entirely safe. It only ****** them a little bit when the needle goes in. I imagine a tattoo would be very distressing for a rabbit

A microchip is as fast as an injection and if it hurts it's only for a second.

A tattoo on the other hand, I would imagine the bun would need to be shaved and therefore knocked out maybe? Definitely forcibly kept still for as long as it was done anyway.

Tattoos hurt and they make the skin bleed, then scab.

Microchip is far better in my book :thumb:

Yes, at the vets for me. Although sometimes in this country some charities will have special events at petshops etc for cheap microchipping.

Before leaving for Serbia I need to have both buns either microchipped or tattooed - does anyone have any experience with this, and which one is less painful for the rabbits?
What is the purpose of getting them identified? If it is to comply with EU quarantine regulations and is not of any relevance once the buns are in Serbia then I'd go with microchipping.

However, if it is to securely identify the buns once they are in Serbia then I would find out whether Serbia is well equipped with scanners for the purpose. Certainly, up until the last 7 years or so, France wasn't particularly well-equipped with scanners and the preferred mode of identification was a visible tattoo. For a lost animal, vets looked for a tattoo and didn't automatically scan. Incidentally, tattoos in the ear didn't cause any of our 5 cats any discomfort and no scabbing at all. It was done when they were neutered / spayed so under GA.

But also relevant is whether the buns are ever likely to come to the UK. If that were so and if rabbits fall under the rabies quarantine regulations (I don't know that they do) I'm not sure whether tattoos would be considered acceptable identification by DEFRA anymore. I'm pretty sure that microchips are the only acceptable identification now for cats and dogs (and ferrets!)

So, depending on the purpose of the identification, the system most practical for your longer-term needs is also worth researching - if you haven't already done so. And I'm sure you have!

Whatever form of id you go with, remember to register the id with any relevant database in Serbia otherwise if the buns escaped, the microchip would still be registered to you in the Ukraine.

What is the purpose of getting them identified? If it is to comply with EU quarantine regulations and is not of any relevance once the buns are in Serbia then I'd go with microchipping.

However, if it is to securely identify the buns once they are in Serbia then I would find out whether Serbia is well equipped with scanners for the purpose. Certainly, up until the last 7 years or so, France wasn't particularly well-equipped with scanners and the preferred mode of identification was a visible tattoo. For a lost animal, vets looked for a tattoo and didn't automatically scan. Incidentally, tattoos in the ear didn't cause any of our 5 cats any discomfort and no scabbing at all. It was done when they were neutered / spayed so under GA.

But also relevant is whether the buns are ever likely to come to the UK. If that were so and if rabbits fall under the rabies quarantine regulations (I don't know that they do) I'm not sure whether tattoos would be considered acceptable identification by DEFRA anymore. I'm pretty sure that microchips are the only acceptable identification now for cats and dogs (and ferrets!)

So, depending on the purpose of the identification, the system most practical for your longer-term needs is also worth researching - if you haven't already done so. And I'm sure you have!

Whatever form of id you go with, remember to register the id with any relevant database in Serbia otherwise if the buns escaped, the microchip would still be registered to you in the Ukraine.

Thanks for that Tatihou - they need to have either a tattoo or microchip to actually get into Serbia and from what I've read on the procedures, tattooing seems out of the question, as with the standard of veterinary care for rabbits here, I am not even close to letting any of them tattoo my buns, and they no nothing about anaesthesia for buns here either, so I think microchipping is by far the best option.

As I might move country again with the buns, although I'm not planning to at present, I think the microchip is the best way forward, and there is a Ukrainian pet database for microchips, so I'm just trying to figure out who can actually do the microchipping.

I don't have anything to add other than what has already been said. Thank you Tatihou for your post, very informative.

On this topic, I was just wondering if many get their buns microchipped?

It really depends on the owner, but there are a fair few buns on here with chips. Personally I've never chipped mine but they've been indoor bunnies and less likely to escape - if I had outside buns I would chip them in case they escaped or were stolen.

I don't have anything to add other than what has already been said. Thank you Tatihou for your post, very informative.

It really depends on the owner, but there are a fair few buns on here with chips. Personally I've never chipped mine but they've been indoor bunnies and less likely to escape - if I had outside buns I would chip them in case they escaped or were stolen.

Yes, that's what I was wondering - my two are house buns, but do go outside sometimes in their run. Not sure then!

I'm getting mine done soon. She's an indoor rabbit (albeit free-range on the ground floor, so theoretically could sneak out) - low risk, but I just thought I'd get it done in case it's useful for peace of mind in the future - say if I have a garden and let her out in a run in summer.

I think one of the main advantages of having them chipped is that you can prove you are the owner. There is a chance they will escape and be handed in to a vet and in that case your chances of getting them back are slightly imrpvoed if they are chipped too.

We can add my two to the list - just had them chipped today. I must say it was a very quick and seemingly painless (apart from the needle being inserted) for the buns. :)

Yes, that's what I was wondering - my two are house buns, but do go outside sometimes in their run. Not sure then!

If I was leaving them out without supervision, I'd chip them. The only time my house buns have been outside is with me constantly supervising, in a fully walled garden. If I had a run for them I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Alleycat, I'm glad your chipping went well. :D I imagine it's not much different than getting a vaccination for the buns really!

If I was leaving them out without supervision, I'd chip them. The only time my house buns have been outside is with me constantly supervising, in a fully walled garden. If I had a run for them I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Alleycat, I'm glad your chipping went well. :D I imagine it's not much different than getting a vaccination for the buns really!

Yes, I know what you mean - we have a fully fenced garden and I do tend to keep checking them, but as you say safe than sorry!

And you're right - it's just like an injection with no after effects, although the syringe looked a bit brutal ;) None of the bunnies batted an eyelid!

Back