• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E. Cuniculi and Ear Infections!

DeezieHelena

Young Bun
Hello guys :)

I was wondering about E. Cuniculi - Nutmeg has never been tested for it, and I have always wanted to know more. I have heard of Lapizole and even Panacur, but I do not know enough about E. Cuniculi to treat. Is Lapizole a prophylactic treatment to prevent it? Do you recommend I use it, or something else to prevent it? Or is this the kind of thing you treat if it happens.

The reason I ask is that people mention it often to me when I explain that Nutmeg is on ear drops again for her second ear infection in 3 months.

I would also like to know if anyone else has had experience with persistent ear infections with their buns, and what your vet recommended. She is on ear drops for 10 days, and its been 7. I don't think it was as bad as her last one though - not much pus!

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the help :)

Hi:wave:

My 2 buns currently have ear infections!!

It depends on how bad it is.....most informative websites recommend 4-6wks of ab at least! Everyone on here has mixed feelings about ear drops!! I for one think they are pointless. If bun has a burst ear drum, DO NOT use in ears!!!

Mine are currently on Septrin, which I'm not impressed with....5 wks later and still no real change! One is on Metacam as infection bad - head swaying, intermittent circles, loss of balance!

There are several people on here with lots o helpful knowledge.

Also, I'm realising now that u have to be very firm with vet regarding what u know is best for ur bun!!!

With regards to e.cuniculi, I had a scare at beginning of last year! All clear luckily!!! Panache is a food preventative treatment that most vets and bunny owners will recommend. Should be done several times a year!

Hope this helps some!

And good luck!:D

Hello! :wave:

Thank you for your help! :D
I hope your buns get over their infections, they sound really bad!

Nutmeg gets the all clear on ears after the ear drops, so I'm pleased that they work but its very short term (apparently!) as she starts to gradually scratch more and then all of a sudden, pus in the ear again!

They said last time that it was quite bad, and that she would need her ears flushed if the drops didn't work. Thankfully it didn't come to that, and this time around it wasn't as bad - the vet said she could only see a little pus but plenty of wax!

So overall, I'm not sure on where to go with this :L

Thank you for your advice on E. Cuniculi as well, should I just look online for it? :)

Thanks again :D :thumb:

I had Canaural - very thick and oily! Mixed responses on here I think on Canaural! Mine have had ears flushed every wek since 12th jan!!! Make sure they fully check right in and round, as because bunny ear canals L shaped, you can't always see what's roun the corner ....that's why Harley so bad! Vet thought cleared up, then came back with a vengeance !!

Good luck!!!xxx

Eurgh, yes! It's like pouring oil in her ears! Her coat is minging now as well, poor soul.

Oh dear, it seems like your buns are having a hard time with their ears! I do hope they are better soon.

Thanks for your help, I will be going back to make sure her ears have cleared up anyway so I will see what they say. I hope it doesn't come back again! :L
xx

Hi:wave:

My 2 buns currently have ear infections!!

It depends on how bad it is.....most informative websites recommend 4-6wks of ab at least! Everyone on here has mixed feelings about ear drops!! I for one think they are pointless. If bun has a burst ear drum, DO NOT use in ears!!!

Mine are currently on Septrin, which I'm not impressed with....5 wks later and still no real change! One is on Metacam as infection bad - head swaying, intermittent circles, loss of balance!

There are several people on here with lots o helpful knowledge.

Also, I'm realising now that u have to be very firm with vet regarding what u know is best for ur bun!!!

With regards to e.cuniculi, I had a scare at beginning of last year! All clear luckily!!! Panache is a food preventative treatment that most vets and bunny owners will recommend. Should be done several times a year!

Hope this helps some!

And good luck!:D

stemetil is good for the loss of balance really helped coco:wave:

Foning my vet on Monday coz not very happy after today - having a nurse discharge my buns when wxpectig to talk to vet really annoyed me! I wanted to ask about that for Harley!!

Back