• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shocked at Warning Poster in Vets today....

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
...I was really shocked by a warning poster in my vets today. It was warning people against giving their pets human pain relief like asprin and paracetamol.:shock::shock: I'm just shocked that anyone would ever even think of giving their pet human asprin or paracetamol!!!! :shock:

It's fairly common for rat owners to give children's Ibuprofen in an emergency. I always have a bottle in my rat first aid kit and know how to administer it safely when needed. I would however, never give it to my rabbits as that's not safe.

It's fairly common for rat owners to give children's Ibuprofen in an emergency. I always have a bottle in my rat first aid kit and know how to administer it safely when needed. I would however, never give it to my rabbits as that's not safe.

:thumb: I've heard this too.

It was common years ago and alot of people just assume they can give it to their animals to save money going to the vets. Also, the PDSA near me used to prescribe aspirin for dogs (first hand experience of this when I tool an elderly gentleman to see them) so it's no wonder some people assume it's ok to do so without veterinary advice!

Well some human medicine is good for buns, like infacol and people on here swear by it. To be honest, I only used it for Sprocket after I checked with my vets after initially reading about it on here. But I agree in principle that unless you have got good reliable advice direct from the vet or experienced people in the know, then it would probably be unwise to do something like giving your dog asprin.

It was common years ago and alot of people just assume they can give it to their animals to save money going to the vets. Also, the PDSA near me used to prescribe aspirin for dogs (first hand experience of this when I tool an elderly gentleman to see them) so it's no wonder some people assume it's ok to do so without veterinary advice!

Did you know, if dogs or cats had been the species used in the testing of aspirin it would never have been approved for use in humans because of how toxic it is to canines and felines.

On topic:

Unfortunately it's something I hear a lot about. Someone on my facebook gave her dog feminax (naproxen) when she was having her time of the year because she looked a bit miserable and decided it'd be cheaper than going to a vet... of course it cost her more in the end as the poor dog had to have an emergency vet trip and a very long in-patient stay because of her owner's stupidity.

Yes, some medicines are able to be used in animals (such as septrin which is a paediatric antibiotic) but never without veterinary advice.

Did you know, if dogs or cats had been the species used in the testing of aspirin it would never have been approved for use in humans because of how toxic it is to canines and felines.

On topic:

Unfortunately it's something I hear a lot about. Someone on my facebook gave her dog feminax (naproxen) when she was having her time of the year because she looked a bit miserable and decided it'd be cheaper than going to a vet... of course it cost her more in the end as the poor dog had to have an emergency vet trip and a very long in-patient stay because of her owner's stupidity.

Yes, some medicines are able to be used in animals (such as septrin which is a paediatric antibiotic) but never without veterinary advice.

:shock::cry:

I have used infacol with vet approval before. I just would never give them paracetamol or asprin.

We had a guy who had givien his Japanese Akita a paracetamol for a ripped nail the other week. He said another vets had told him it was fine... Definitely not ideal and we couldn't give any other pain relief.

We also had a dog who ate 2 ibuprofen, we had to induce vomitting as they are so toxic.

I heard of someone giving some human penecillin tablets for a pyometra. The dog later died (not necessarily because of the tablets, more the owner left too late to treat properly)

The list is endless. A lot of people are clueless!

Well some human medicine is good for buns, like infacol and people on here swear by it. To be honest, I only used it for Sprocket after I checked with my vets after initially reading about it on here. But I agree in principle that unless you have got good reliable advice direct from the vet or experienced people in the know, then it would probably be unwise to do something like giving your dog asprin.

Infacol is perfectly safe because it's not absorbed from the gut & simply changes foamed gas which can't move on to a bubble of gas which can. It's the same with gripe water. BUT you have to be sure that your bun has gas & not an obstruction.

I would NEVER use other human drugs on an animal unless on vet advice. There are differences between every species in how they handle drugs.
Yes some people do, & occasionally vice versa. I know a fair few country folk who rub horse linament on their creaking joints. It's actually fairly OK until you can't work out why they've got a skin reaction!

Back