• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ivy being spayed today- advice about pain killers ...

redrhum

Young Bun
Hello,

My mini rex Ivy is being spayed today. I feel sick with worry that she might not make it through the op. I know im being a bit sensitive but I love her so much and I feel bad for putting her through it even though I know its for her future health.
Sorry, emotional rant over.
What I wanted to ask was what is the best way to give the post op painkillers ? She is a greedy little thing but i think she may eat around it.
Any advice much appreciated ;)

You will usually get metacam liquid (dog version is better than cat version) which you syringe into her mouth. A lot of buns like it as it's honey flavoured. If she doesn't, you can put it on food she likes. I use basil leaves; other buns prefer small pieces of bread or banana for this.

My Ada chewed at her stitches a little and so had an elasticated bandage tube put over them. She chewed the bandage so we tried a collar, but that was highly distressing for her and I took it off. In the end I found it best to just let her chew the bandage for a week and she seemed to have no ill-effects from that. Even when it was rolled up, the bandage distracted her from chewing the stitches themselves.

Metacam (an oral liquid) is the usual choice of pain relief for vets. The easiest way to administer it is straight down the hatch. :)

x.

Oh silly me, I just assumed they would be tablets.
Thankyou for the advice.
Keeping my fingers crossed now that she is safe and sound and I can collect her soon...

Oh silly me, I just assumed they would be tablets.
Thankyou for the advice.
Keeping my fingers crossed now that she is safe and sound and I can collect her soon...

Oh, now I understand what you meant by eat around it - around tablets, not the stitches.

I hope all went well and that she will be home safe soon and eating.

i hope the op was a success.

My bun was spayed on Tuesday and is just getting back to normal now, thought still not eating as much as normal! This is to be expected. If she isn't eating within 24 hours, phone the vets for advice.

Don't expect her to act normal, she won't...she will be grumpy and not eat probably for almost 24 hours. She will come round.

Vibes to both of you xxx

Thankyou for the vibes.
She is home safe and sound thank goodness. I didnt expect to get so upset when I left her there this morning but I guess she really has stolen my heart.
She looks very sorry for herself, quite rightly so, but has, amazingly, eaten straight after her op when she came round. She has just had her pellets for the night too. Greedy girl that she is :)
Weirdly the vet said she had an extra vein/artery/??? hooked over her uterus which he had never seen before and made the op trickier than usual as he had to cut round it. Any ideas? No big deal really as she is fine and thats all i care about.
Also there are no stiches as they did intradermal ones which dissolve so I dont have to worry about her nibbling on them.
All in all I am very relieved but still nervous about the next few days in case there are any post op complications/infection.
Keeping fingers crossed she ll be back to her cheeky, loveable bunnyself soon...

Glad to hear she's home - not heard of the extra artery - there seem to be so many strange things! Good job you have a good vet who was on the ball:wave: Hope she's recovering well x

Thanks everyone.
Ivy is doing really well 24hours on. She is taking her pain killer in a grape as she didnt like the syringe at all. She has also been jumping up on my bed which surprised me as i thought she would be too sore to jump. Although subdued she is eating everything as usual and I am very pleased with how its all gone so far :)

Back