• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can I put in Butterfly's cage?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Butterfly currently spends overnights shut up in a horrible Nero cage (the 4ft one). It's not ideal but it's currently his best option and he gets out during the day. He's quite comfortable in there though because he goees and stays in there by choice.

We have a problem with him eating or not tolerating whatever we put on the floor of his cage. He ate fleece. He ate newspaper. He won't walk on straw (so is using his litter tray to sleep in so isn't going to the toilet overnight :roll:). He can't have anything like megazorb, shavings, wood pellet litter for fear he will eat it. (he's not eating it because he is bored, we're not sure why he does it, but he has always been a chewer).

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Does he eat cardboard?

Could you flatpack some boxes at all perhaps?

*throwing ideas out there*

Yes, I think he would. Although he doesn't eat/chew some of the boxes he's had so maybe worth a try :thumb:

Yes, I think he would. Although he doesn't eat/chew some of the boxes he's had so maybe worth a try :thumb:

Is he a chewer and ingester, or just a chewer?

Biccy ADORES card, but he NEVER eats it, just drops it on the floor :roll:

Maybe Flutterby could handle a cage lined with card? :?

How about carpet?
If you have a couple of pieces cut to size you can wash them every couple of days and replace with the other bit while it dries.
I have carpet in the sleeping area of the hutch and they've never peed on it, so all I do is take it out and hoover it every week or so.

How about carpet?
If you have a couple of pieces cut to size you can wash them every couple of days and replace with the other bit while it dries.
I have carpet in the sleeping area of the hutch and they've never peed on it, so all I do is take it out and hoover it every week or so.

:thumb:

Great idea!!

Just looked at a pic of it online. Seems to have a fairly deep tray. Is there any reason you can't just use hay all over the floor?

He has torn a beautiful hole in the carpet of my room.

He does sometimes just chew but does sometimes ingest if I don't get there fast enough.

potentially he could have hay but my worry is that right now his litter tray is filled with hay and his habits are exemplary and I don't want to lose that. Guess it's worth a try in case it's safer.

hi Sky-o,

I use chill and chew mats on the floor of my cage. They are nice and comfy for my bun to sit on etc and he can have fun eating them without me worrying

Last edited:
Thanks for the last few suggestions guys. I totally forgot about this thread. I ahve currently given him hay, but if that doesn't work I have some other things to try. Thanks :D :thumb:

Back