• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for those of you with more than one indoor set up..

*Red*

Mama Doe
How do you manage your time and space?

Do you work / are you out of the house for long periods of time?

I’m having one of those weeks. My head’s made the decision but my heart really doesn’t want to follow. I keep trying to think of other options, scenarios, etc.

And I’m stuck.

we have three couples indoors usually and at present another hopefully trio.

TBH we dont really have 'set ups': one pair inhabits the front living room, another pair the rear dining room and patio, and the other pair are at present in our bedroom - (though they will go back to being a foursome in the dining room once Parsley has fully recovered from his little accident).

we just use child gates to stop them meeting.

Each pair has a poo tray which we clean out twice a week - Parsley insists on having two poo trays:roll:

When spring/summer arrives the pair in the front living room will probably either go out or swap to the upstairs room as it has french doors (gated).

I have a pair in one room and a pair in another room is that the sort of thing you mean?

Each pair has one underbed storage box as a litter/hay tray. I change the lops one every day and the lionheads one every other day. Every day I give the rooms a sweep (lino) and change their water bowls (tip it down the loo, rinse and refill).

Then one week I'll reverse their blankets (mainly the lops room as the other two have a rug now) and the next week I'll wash them (shove them in the machine in a horse tack wash bag). Every fortnight I give one of the rooms a mopping, one room one fortnight, the other the next fortnight so they are mopped once a month.

I try to let them on the landing (lops) or in my parents' bedroom (lions) when possible. The landing inevitably get covered in hay as it's between both bunny rooms so I try to hoover that once a week and run around with a sweeper every few days.

It's not ideal, the ideal for me would be to have a bonded quad so they could have all four rooms for about 18 hours a day but that went ok for a while and then broke down and I don't have the nerve to try again!

ETA. I'm not out of the house for long periods. I have ME so spend a lot of the day indoors although I'm starting a volunteer job soon to try to build up to work.

ETA2. We also use baby gates. :)

I've got Mickey in the lounge currently, and my girls in the spare room. However my girls are allowed in the hallway and my bedroom too, so I've had to take the babygate down by the lounge and keep the door shut at all times, or they'll meet, albeit through meshed bars. Given Mouse and Mickey like each other but Mango and Mickey don't, I can't let them see each other because it breaks my heart.

Also by default, given Mickey's in the lounge, I spend more time with him. I do make time for my girls too, but if I'm watching a film or have friends round, obviously the lounge is where a majority of time is spent. Which makes me feel I'm neglecting my two :(

Mickey's amazing in the lounge, I didn't know such well behaved bunnies existed! :love: He doesn't dig at the carpet, chew the table or sofas, pee or poop on the sofa, chew wires, eat my books on the bookcase, or chew the wicker baskets under the coffee table! :shock: which amazes me!

BUT if I were to keep him, he'd need a girlfriend down the line, and chances of finding another such well behaved bun are slim (and rule out any chance of a BARC bunny :p:lol: )

Currently he's in a 3.5ft x 3.5ft pen attached to a medium dog crate, which obviously isn't ideal but given he's so good, he's free range most of the time now.

If I bond him, him and his wifey bun will need to go in a pen while I'm at work in case she / they got up to any mischief, and I can't make the pen any bigger given the set up of my lounge and the furniture in it. As it is, he's taken over the corner which was due to "music" area filled with a 4ft amp & a couple of guitars on stands :roll:

One option would be to put my girls outside come spring, which they'd probably be happy with, but I feel I'm casting them aside a little if I'm honest. Which isn't fair...

They'll never be quite as people orientated as Mickey is, they'll never be "puppy like", in fact I'm still convinced Mango hates me! but moving them outside is never going to help the issue is it. I can't expect to progress with them or have a bond with them like I would do with Mickey & another bun indoors.

If your other buns are paired, i wouldn't worry about not spending as much time with them. Buns are happy been buns - as long as they have hay, food, water, company, space & something to do - you are surplus to requirements!

I think it's normal to bond better with some buns - a few of mine - Flint, Alistair, Jamie have made me :love: but doesn't mean I love the others less:D

I know that feeling of being guilty because of spending more time with one pair but I find it balances out. In the summer I seem to spend more time in the lionheads room, in the winter I seem to spend more time in my room as it's warmer.

If they have a partner than I expect they don't mind not having human company, as long as they get their food!!! :lol:

I have an unspayed doe and a neutered buck, each living in separate rooms (until the pens I ordered three weeks ago turn up, if they ever do :roll: ), and I am out of the house from 7am until 8pm.

The rooms they live in are huge and strewn with toys and furniture, but of course I'm always worried I don't get to spend enough time with them, as every attempt placing them together at present ends up with King chasing poor Sharik (she is 3 times larger than him, so it is a bit comical actually) around the area they are enclosed in.

I do the following: I wake up at 6, open the door to the living room and King immediately bounces out and does a run of the flat, of course not into Sharik's room - while he runs, I change his water and feed him, and once he jumps into his cage to eat, I shut the door, open the door to Sharik's room and repeat the process. King is fine being in a cage as long as he is eating. Sharik has been with me the longest so I can't really exclude her from the living room altogether, so this works reasnably well for now.

Then I get ready for work, give them both a bit of a cuddle, say 5 mintues each, and when I leave the flat, they are almost always settled in for a snooze.

At 8pm I come back, repeat the feeding process, then I eat myself, and divide the living room into two areas, carry Sharik's litter tray in, and spend 3 - 4 hours with them in the living room, while I finish off some work, watch a film, play poker online, speak on the phone, surf the Internet etc., and of course play with the buns.

Sharik is a snugglebun, and would basically accept head rubs for hours on end, and frequently sits on my lap also. King is more of a free spirit, but also needs his head rubs, and I do feel sometimes that they are not happy when I switch sides of the divider and give the other bun attention. By default because King can amuse himself for over an hour with a new empty toilet roll, Sharik gets a lot more cuddles, but I try to sit an equal amount of time on each side of the divider, or switch the buns around. I measure my buns happiness in binkies and flops, and as long as King binkies and does the Bunny-500, and Sharik flops after every session, I think I'm doing OK. They are both big tooth purrers too :)

In the weekends, I try to get more time with them, but any attempt at approaching Sharik before 6pm results in hisses and honks, and King just disapepars behind the arm chair, so it's really only from 6pm I get any kind of response :roll:

As soon as the pen set-up arrives, I will have them both living in the same room - this means less space for each bun, but still plenty to exercise, and I think this is a necessity as not only will they get used to each other, but also they won't be alone - even if they're not bonded they do show a lot of itnerest in each other, and I think just having another furry around will be calming.

It might sound like a lot of work, but the truth is I really, really love my buns, and enjoy spending time with them.

EDIT: I should probably add that the only damage King has evener done is to pull down some wallpaper which means I can trust him in the living room unsupervised, whereas unfortunately, I don't trust Sharik for a second :lol:

Last edited:
Alleycat, were you ever in the army because this is planned with military precision!:thumb:

Hahahaha - I am actually one of the few Norwegians who hasn't completed their Norwegian National Service, due to me escaping to glasgow for 5 years. My dad, who was the highest cleared civilian in Norway and worked for the Army High Command before he was retired has had to endure over 15 years of jibes because of it :lol::lol::lol:

Hahahaha - I am actually one of the few Norwegians who hasn't completed their Norwegian National Service, due to me escaping to glasgow for 5 years. My dad, who was the highest cleared civilian in Norway and worked for the Army High Command before he was retired has had to endure over 15 years of jibes because of it :lol::lol::lol:

:lol:, your poor dad!

So does not completing your National Service have any ramifications?:lol:

:lol:, your poor dad!

So does not completing your National Service have any ramifications?:lol:

No, after 5 years abroad, you are deemed ineligible - even if there were ramifications, I would never ever go back to live in Norway anyway. I remember after arriving in scotland for my first year at uni, we had to register at the Norwegian Foreign Mission, and we were told that if a war broke out in Norway, we should all report to them. I remember thinking "Yeah, that'll be right - getting drunk in Glasgow or fighthing a war in Norway.... Now, there's a tough choice" :lol:

Back