• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur - How often and for how long?

rachglos

Warren Scout
I hope this does not sound like a stupid question :oops: but I'm getting myself confused with how often & how long a course of Panacur the buns should have. The vets sent me a reminder yesterday that Simba is due a course (the card says he should be on Milbemax but I'm guessing their computer system has messed up!).
I have it in my diary that he is not due till April, 6 months from the last lot. I have done some search's on here as I wanted to check 6 monthly was ok but all the posts I read say different things.
I read the post in the sticky "Old Useful Topics - Health" and this seems to suggest people do not give panacur as a preventative measure...
Is panacur the only option as I read about something else.. can't remember the name.
Can someone please help?
Thank you :thumb:

I do not use Panacur routinely as a 'preventative'

I treat every Rabbit with a one off 28 day course and then I never treat again unless clinical symptoms of EC present.

I have 30 Rabbits, some who have been known to have 'active EC' in their previous homes. I have used this protocol for several years and it has worked well.

I have concerns about the overuse of Fenbedazole (active ingredient in Panacur/Lapizole). There is the potential of the development of resistance to treatment and possibly a negative impact on the bone marrow thus damaging the Rabbits immune system.

Thank you Jane :D

I think I will not treat as a preventative then, I was begining to wonder as I think the vets must have it down as 4 times a year & it sounds allot.
I get confused sometimes and just glad RU is around to ask these questions, even if I do sound silly. :love:

Thank you Jane :D

I think I will not treat as a preventative then, I was begining to wonder as I think the vets must have it down as 4 times a year & it sounds allot.
I get confused sometimes and just glad RU is around to ask these questions, even if I do sound silly. :love:

You dont sound silly at all

EC/Panacur is always a minefield, even Vets cant agree on what is the 'right' protocol. I just do what works for us- if it aint broke why try to fix it !!

Back