• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

experience with antihistamines in pasturella bunies.

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
My Bertie bun has pasturella and is very snuffly again and sneezing lots....in the past he was given a piriton tablet cut into 4 pieces with one quarter in the morning and one quarter at night.

I have been researching a better antihistamine for him and will ring the vets to ask them about the dosage etc just to make sure i have it right.

Piriton..(cetirizine) is popular as treatment for nasal passage swelling in bunnies with snuffles...and I have now found out that benadryl and loratidine is too.
Prevailing dosgae seems to be 1mg a day....but seeing as bertie is 6kg i do not know how much more hed need....so hence the vets call..not that i have any antihistamines at hand but can get taxi to chemist and back..i still cannot wlak far or up hills due to my swolen and painful achilles tendon on my left foot!

I have been checking for childrens flavoured syrup with a low as poss alcohol content and no loads of colours etc...i found one!!

its LORATADINE....a replacement for BENADRYL.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/hayfever-relief-loratadine-5mg5ml-syrup-for-children-benadryl-equivalent_1_26135.html

i know it has sucrose in it but his tummy is full of antibiotics anyway! And id only give it for a week to see if it helps.

here is the other one thats banana flavoured...but his septrin is banana flavoured and he dosnt think its as nice as other bunnies have said;)

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/zirtek-allergy-solution-1mgml-2-sugar-free_1_31264.html

am definatley NOT going to use the piriton syrup!! look at this!
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/piriton-syrup_1_1836.html:shock::shock:

just wondering if any other bunny slaves have got any experience in using antihistamines in snuffles ravaged bunnys?

We used the piriton syrup for Bluebell, I know its quite sugary but it was the nesser of two evils and the benefits to him far outweighed the cons. It never had any ill effect on him.

Back