• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two females

I have two female rabbits and Sniff's (older) seems try to mount Mocha but then gets frustrated and nudges, grunts, and chases her. It does not seem playful. They laid next to each other for about five minutes and then Sniff's decided she didn't want Mocha around.

Sniff's just turned 1 last month. Mocha will be 3 months old next week.
Neither of them are spayed.
This is Sniffers first time interacting with another animal since I adopted her.
Sniff's will chase Mocha trying to mount her, but after a while of Mocha denying her it seems like she gets frustrated.
I can't really tell if Sniff's is getting mad (biting mad) or just pushing her.

photo22.jpg
[/IMG]

Aw, they are beautiful! Welcome to the site and well done for showing photos to fast!

To get them to successfully bond the best chance for success would be to get them both spayed and wait until 6-8 weeks after and then have a go at bonding. The younger one is too young to be spayed for now, but when she is old enough she can be done.

It's not advisable to bond unspayed rabbits, but if you do then please wait until the younger one is at least 6 months old because by then her hormones will all be present and you will know what they have done to her. If you bond now there is a very high risk that when her hormones will arrive, they will fight.

On my website there is some info about bonding that might be worth reading. http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm

Thank you so much. Right now they share their own bedroom, but it is divided in with a safety pen gate. They do not have access to each other but can see and smell each other each other. I plan on getting Sniff's altered but I quit my job 2 weeks ago when I was bitten by a dog. So money is a little tight right now. Is there living situation okay? Or should I put some type of material on the separator so they don't have view of each other?

A little about Sniff's temper:
When she wants something, she gets it. She will make as much noise possible if she wants to come out of her room and will not stop until I let her out. For example I put a baby gate up instead of closing the door, she will grab onto the baby gate with her teeth and shake it. She immediately does this when she hears me come home from my four hour school days Monday through Thursday. If I am working on an assignment and she wants the paper she will just jump up next the me and grab the paper. She will then play tug of war with me until the paper either rips or I let go and clap. If she wants to be pet, she will be pet. She will nudge my hand, arm, leg, foot anything for me to pet her and then grunt and nudge if I don't. There have been a few times that she has clawed at me, like when I'm cleaning and really can't stop and pet her for 20 minutes. If she does not want me to leave her room she will chase me to the baby gate and then she will bite down onto my pants and hold on to me. I've tested a few of these with her more than once and she is very stubborn.

photo2-1.jpg

Back