• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bored rabbits

Alicia

Mama Doe
They seem bored. They just lay down all the time and since Molly died I don't like to let them free range in case anything happens again, so they are almost always in their hutch and run. They have another run on grass which they love and they always binky when they're in it but they can only go in it when I'm around because they dig. They have a few toys but they never play with them, but that might just be because they always have them? Should I give them a few toys and then change them round?
The bunnies at college have a tennis ball on rope hanging from the top of their run, is something like this ok? I could do it for Archie and Izzy if it is. I feel bad because their housing is only the minimum size, and they just seem bored because every day is the same for them. They are lovely bunnies and deserve to be much happier.
How do you keep your rabbits entertained? Do you change things around to make every day different for them?

Changing toys around is a good idea, I do that with my dogs, cats and bunnies. Tunnels and cardboard boxes ALWAYS provide entertainment here, I can leave them 24/7. Not sure about the tennis ball thing, but you can get parrot toys that are like little balls that dangle.

Could you mesh under the grass run, so they can't dig out?

Changing around toys is a good idea. Bunnies love tunnels to run through and also snooze in. You can buy them pretty cheaply. Edible toys are great too. Old toilet paper tubes filled with hay are a fave. The Hay Experts are great and sell lots of toys if you check out their website.

Remember bunnies are nocturnal so they may be more active at night. How old are your bunnies? They slow down a bit as they get older and snooze more.

I have heard that bunnies in hutches with runs do enjoy hanging toys so maybe buy some or like you say, have a go at making one.

Do you have a spare room in your home? Or could your bunny-proof a room? Trying them as house bunnies could be good for all of you if you can.

Thank you :) I can't really mesh under the run because I always move it around so they can have more grass and I store it away when it's not being used. I'm off college wednesdays and fridays, so on those days and at the weekend they can go in it for most of the day.
Izzy is 2 years old and Archie is 1 year old. I'll give them some boxes and tunnels and see what they think of them, and I'll look for some more toys for them :)

I'd love for them to be house bunnies but my Mum doesn't want them in the house :(

i just add toys every 3 days or so or move stuff about slightly ;)
amy moves stuff around anway so yh she entains herself too
:thumb:

Back