• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question about x-rays

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Are they generally performed under GA? If so, why exactly can't they be done while the bun is concious? Because of stress etc.? :(

Sorry if I sound like an idiot but my local vets can't give me a straight answer to this as they "don't normally x-ray bunnies" :roll:

The rabbits won't stay still by themselves and the vets can't spend a whole morning taking lots of x rays (and radiating the bun into the bargain) so they get one that's not blurred

Yes normally under GA - basically because you can't say to a bunny "sit still for a moment", so you'd be unlikely to get a good clear image back, whereas humans know to stay still when they're being x-rayed. The person doing the x ray isn't allowed to stay in the room when it's being done because they would be exposed to it too, so they can't stay and hold the animal down. Sometimes they can be done by laying e.g. a little sand bag type thing over the bun to gently hold it down for a brief moment, but it depends on what is being x-rayed and whether the bun would tolerate this.

My vet managed to do an Xray after mildly sedating Dudley so not a full GA I presume he felt Dudley wasnt lively enough to mess up an Xray and mild sedation was enough! I think he actually had 2 like this within 24-48hrs as they wanted to see what was moving through his gut!

Our vets are pretty good at being able to do abdominal x-rays conscious, which is great. But they always need a GA for dental x-rays because of the position the bunny needs to be in to get a clear picture

Thanks for clearing things up! Well in Boris' case there has been talks of x-raying his lungs if his breathing problems get bad again so perhaps he wouldn't need a full GA? If it's just the lungs? I wouldn't want to put him under GA if he got poorly :( Especially not at this clinic, they really are clueless when it comes to treating buns, they'd probably mess something up :(

He's doing great now though so chances are he won't be needing one anytime soon *fingers crossed* :)

My Lils had lung problems...they only gave her a sedative, as a GA may have been too much......and it was at my request.They said that was fine, but it depends on the bunny.

Back