• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonnie has had a relapse

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
She had a dental on Monday and started dribbling again this morning. She got an emergency dental this afternoon and has come through with her usual vigour and is eating happily of her own accord but has remained at the vet for observation as he is not happy about it and neither am I. She is due to come home for indoor observation tomorrow. I don't understand why it has happened again within days. Its always the same spur on her lower left molar which irritates her gum flesh and tongue :(
Vet is going to test her for an infection/abscess in the morning to see if that is causing it.

My normally sympathetic family are saying its time to let her go but I'm not convinced she is ready yet but I don't know what to think any more.

Any helpful suggestions or advice would appreciated as always.

I'm so sorry to see this update.

I don't have any experience of this, but it seems incredible a spur could grow back so quickly. Yet I know you have a good vet so presumably the job was done properly. :?

Sending vibes for her and a hug for you. xx

Is she having the Dentals under GA and has she had skull radiogrphs recently ?

Does the Vet burr the crowns down to gum level or just take off the spurs ?

Is she having the Dentals under GA and has she had skull radiogrphs recently ?

Does the Vet burr the crowns down to gum level or just take off the spurs ?

All her dentals have been under GA though for the last one she did not need the "wake up sedative" she came around of her own accord.

She has not had a radiograph yet but I think he wants to ask about it tomorrow.

He burrs the crowns down to gum level, sometimes a little lower. She currently has three re-ocurring spurs, two top right causing no problems and that lower left one causing all the problems.

However she is otherwise fine, strong and spirited and seemingly happy after each dental so he is as reluctant as me to go for the pts option. We have established that until this week at least her quality of life and her good days outweigh the bad days and pain.

I suppose it could be an abscess in the tooth socket or a root causing all the problems. The vet did make me aware that this would get worse for Bonnie as she ages as her sockets become looser and depleted of calcium. She has had calcium shots which seem not to have made any difference.

I suppose I shall have to wait and see what happens tomorrow. If it s a troublesome root what can we do other than full extraction. Its not a road I want to go down but :?

sorry I dont know much about this at all....Im sure Jane will be back with her amazing advice and experience.....sending vibes for Bonnie xxxx

Poor Bonnie, I can understand why you don't want to consider PTS if she seems so bright. Hope you get some more answers tomorrow xxx

So sorry to hear the update on Bonnie. I really hope there can be a long term solution to her dental problems. So unfair that teeth/spurs can grow so quickly. Mega vibes for Bonnie. Thinking of you. xxx

I am sorry she is having rich a tough time st the moment. Fingers crossed she can manage longer this time.

All her dentals have been under GA though for the last one she did not need the "wake up sedative" she came around of her own accord.

She has not had a radiograph yet but I think he wants to ask about it tomorrow.

He burrs the crowns down to gum level, sometimes a little lower. She currently has three re-ocurring spurs, two top right causing no problems and that lower left one causing all the problems.

However she is otherwise fine, strong and spirited and seemingly happy after each dental so he is as reluctant as me to go for the pts option. We have established that until this week at least her quality of life and her good days outweigh the bad days and pain.

I suppose it could be an abscess in the tooth socket or a root causing all the problems. The vet did make me aware that this would get worse for Bonnie as she ages as her sockets become looser and depleted of calcium. She has had calcium shots which seem not to have made any difference.

I suppose I shall have to wait and see what happens tomorrow. If it s a troublesome root what can we do other than full extraction. Its not a road I want to go down but :?

Personally I would wait to see what Xrays reveal before thinking about extractions. If the actual jawbone is badly diseased/demineralised extraction is something I would definitely not opt for.

I hope that the Vet has some optimistic news for you today xx

I meant to update this yesterday. Bonnie is home again. The tiniest of abscesses has formed in socket of her lower molar so while there is some pus present its not enough to merit draining yet. For now Bonnie is on baytril and metacam and can be at home where she is happiest. As usual its a case of wait and see.

Am I doing the right things keeping her alive and on constant meds? I feel so torn as to what is best for her. On her good days she is amazing and acts like a young bun but the bad days are starting to increase and she has experienced pain and frustration but as yet she has more good days than bad. But she no longer eats hay and only eats grass occasionally so her diet has permanently altered. But she is still mobile and affectionate with her husbun and goes to the loo as normal and she gets out to play every day in a large garden where she can eat what he wants and sniff around everywhere and hear the birds and run through tunnels and dig little scrapes. Is all that a good enough reason to keep going with the treatment? Is it fair to wait until she physically can't cope any more or is it kinder to help her over before things get that bad?

I know she is getting worse but its slow and yet she seems to strong and determined :(

What a dilemma. :( It sounds as if she still has a reasonable quality of life, and it must be so difficult to know when to call it time. :? I've not been in the position, but from what I've read on other threads, you somehow just 'know'.

I can't speak from any experience, but if the majority of the time she is happy and pain free then I would find it hard to let her go. You know her best though. Sending lots of good wishes, this must be so hard for you both xx

I am so sorry you're in this situation. :( Its very similar to what I had with Brock. He was still lively/dipping his paws in the dog's water bowl to wash his face/hopping round right until I took him for his GA but the state of his teeth caused the vet to say we should let him go under anaesthetic, as he must be in pain and things would only deteriorate.

I think it complicates it further when there's a partner bun involved, but thinking about what folk here have said about dental pain in humans, I might be inclined to consider pts, unless you can be really sure she's not in pain, although obviously this is your decision. I guess with Brock I had been waiting for him to become less lively, but for a rabbit of his spirit to let his pain show (ie to become less lively) it would have meant waiting till he was in agony, and that would have been unfair to him. When my vet saw his mouth under GA she had no doubt at all it was the kindest thing for him.

You need to make whatever decision feels right for Bonnie and you, but I think one of the problems is that as owners we are inclined to wait until the bun is clearly suffering whereas actually the kindest thing might be to intervene before it reaches that stage. If I'd waited until Brock was clearly suffering it might have taken months, because he was so brave, but that wouldn't have been fair to him. Bonnie is a different bun with different dental issues though so a different outcome might be possible.

Hope this helps in some small way. It is a heartbreaking position to be in but one that a lot of RU-ers will have been in and will understand. :cry:

Back