• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help regarding teeth extraction

shakiraminilop

Warren Scout
The vet wants me to have shakiras top and bottom front teeth removed as they keep growing and are in the wrong position she does not clean her self properly and cant eat or drink wel when they are grown so have to get them cut atleast every 4 weeks

what are the complications?
how long does it take for them to recover?
will she be kept in over night?

she is a bonded bunny will pablo need to go with her or will she need to recover on her own?
how will she eat when taken out ? will it be really traumatic?

sorry for all questions cost wise is roughly £200

what have you been quoted ?
xx

thint thats a reasonable cost, i know a few members who have had their bunnies front teeth extracted, maybe they will seee this and be able to offer advice
on recovery times and diet etc

Orinoco went with Scarlet this week for her extractions (not incisors btw). They have to separate them for a bit post operatively, but they were back together once Scarlet had come round properly. They were in overnight afterwards and I was glad Ori was with her.

My old boy had this done 2 years ago. It cost me £65. He was a single bun then so I cant offer advice with regards to bonded buns.

He was a bit quiet for 3-4 days afterwards but was eating soggy food pretty much straight away. He wasn't kept overnight but he was in from 8am until 7pm.

His teeth have grown back on the bottom and one is slowly growing back on the top so in hindsight if I knew this I wouldn't have put my particular bun through it because he still has to have his teeth done now every 4-6 weeks but at the time it was the best thing for him even though he found it stressful.

He copes fine with his eating, he still eats everything that he used to but he needs to be fed on his own so he has time to eat everything otherwise the other buns gobble up his share of the food.

If there gona grow bak I reli Duno what to do :(

You've have to have them removed again. Teeth are bone, bone regrows over time, especially in rabbits.

Is your vet definately rabbit savvy?

Would it be worth thinking about getting a second opinion from a RU recommended vet in your area?

My Herbie came into BARC Rescue with really overgrown incisors. He got them removed and then I adopted him. About 6months later I noticed one large fang like bottom Incisor and three peg teeth growing back! Anyways, I got them removed again.....now he has one top peg tooth that grows back in, but it often snaps off by it's self, either that or we just get it burred at the vets.

Has the vet tried burring shakiras teeth to see how she gets on?

The complications are just the usual GA issues, but if you get a good bunny vet then this should be fine. Herbie was woozy for a day after, but he was nibbling on Herbs etc.

I took Inca to the Vets with Herbie when he went, then he just went back into the vet cage thing with her. The vet said that she was all affectionate and grooming with him when he came back....awwww.

The vet needs to get the tooth root killed so that they don't grown back, sometimes they can't manage this. Herbie has had this done twice, and he still has a peg tooth, but I would still recommend trying the op.

shakira does have her teeth burred and one time she stuck her tongue out and they cut a little bit ov her lip :( i will talk about it agen to vets when she gets the full treatment ov bottom shaved nails cliped and teeth burred lol xx

Are they doing a conscious dental? She shouldn't be able to stick her tongue out if she's under anaesthetic. Are there any recommended vets in your area? It might be worth a 2nd opinion.

Are they doing a conscious dental? She shouldn't be able to stick her tongue out if she's under anaesthetic. Are there any recommended vets in your area? It might be worth a 2nd opinion.

they keep her awake whilst burring teeth they r very good there was an accident tbh i just dont want the teeth tp grow bak :(

I could be wrong...............but if they are doing it conscious, then that would suggest to me that they are not taking very much off the teeth each time. It would therefore be quite a big jump to go from that to removing them.

I'm happy to be wrong, and please someone correct me if I am, our dental issues are all back teeth related.

She should be fine without them. Most rabbits do very well and are able to eat better. Veg just has to be cut into bite sized pieces.

They can grow back, Grim's have twice in four years and now seem to be gone completely.

Back