• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are my buns doing?

Talael

Young Bun
I've got two buns, Fidget (male) and Cotton (female). They are both mini lops about 10 months old.

They live in a two storey cage but are separated (with the scientific method of separation being a box over the whole in the top storey lol).

I got them at the same time and were told they were both girls so originally they played together a lot and I was hoping to bond them properly as they were supposedly sisters (they still lived in separate cages at the time).

Now, it's months and months later and they both been fixed (Fidget months ago and Cotton about 2-3 weeks ago).

I let them play together when they're out but I'm not sure how they feel about each other. They had a fight once a few months ago before Fidget was fixed as Cotton managed to get into his part of the cage and we think she startled him more then anything.

They haven't a fight since then. When they play together both of them will try to put their head under the other's body (one at a time not at the same time!). Then one will flop down in front of the other (again not at the same time but they both do it one after the other).

I tend to separate them at this point as I'm scared they will fight. After I've separated them Fidget will run around and then Cotton always goes after him and looks like she's nipping his hind leg but he doesn't really react, he just looks at her (altho I tell Cotton off at this point and put her to bed).

What are they doing? Is it bad? Will they bond?

They are just trying to work out who is dominant, that's all. Nothing in there sounds anything of any concern.

Can you explain a little more how you're doing the dates? Like how? Where? How long? Neutral territory? etc?

They come out in the same room, usually the living room which is neutral to them both.

They spend about an hour together but for at least 30mins of that they are bombing around not really interested in each other but more about sniffing around everywhere. Fidget tends to follow Cotton around especially if she has done a very mini charge and nipped him (that's how it looks to me). Fidget will turn and look at her and then start following wherever she goes. I usually panic that he's going to get her for nipping him so stop him going after her (just gently direct him somewhere else).

I wonder if you could try and do a longer bonding session so they can figure out who is going to be boss, sounds like they sre getting there but then being parted again so they'll have to start again.

Thank you to everyone for responding.

Unfortunately we've had a set back.

Last night I let them out for a run and as usual they followed each other around a little. Then Cotton (F) was putting her head under Fidget (M). He just hopped away like he usually does. Then all of a sudden Cotton was trying to nip Fidget's back and bum. I didn't get there quick enough to push her away and then they were fighting!

Fidget was trying to run away and she was chasing him still trying to nip him. Then they were going round and round in circles tearing fur off each other. I managed to grab Fidget and took him out the room. Poor little boy was so scared he even let me cuddle him and he's not a cuddly bun!

There was no blood, just lots of fur, a scared wee man and an upset mummy! Cotton didn't seem to notice, she certainly wasn't scared. I put them both back in their cage (they're in a two storey cage but can't get to each other) and everything seems normal again.

What do I do now? It was awful to see them fight like that, I don't want it to happen again.

Hi..i feel for you i'm going through the exact same thing as you at the moment!
Sorry not much use i know..but thought it might make you feel abit better to know you're not
alone in Bunny Bonding Hell! Xx

You either need to keep them separate and not let them out together or you need to try and bond them fully in a neutral area and do not separate them at all, watching them constantly for 3 days. Separating them and putting them back together constantly is going to lead to fights.

You either need to keep them separate and not let them out together or you need to try and bond them fully in a neutral area and do not separate them at all, watching them constantly for 3 days. Separating them and putting them back together constantly is going to lead to fights.

Not always the case. Some bunnies bond better using a dating method than the just-putting-them-together method.

Now I'm totally confused!

They've been together since they were babies. We bought them from some grotty pet shop because I couldn't stand leaving them there.

We got Cotton first and then a week later we got Fidget. As I didn't really know what I was doing I put them in separate cages (even though they'd been in the same cage at the pet shop). They were both about 8-9weeks old when I got them.

They've been separate ever since but have always been out for runs together until we found out Fidget was a boy not a girl and then until he had his op they weren't really together at all.

But since his op, again they've been out together (about 5 months since his op now). However, Cotton has attacked him before, just after his op when she managed to get into his part of what was their new two storey cage. They are cut off from each other in the cage.

I was hoping it was because she was still sexually active, although again they've always still been out together with no problems, just the odd head under each other thing and following each other. Cotton has always occasionally nipped Fidget on the bum when she's finished sticking her head under him.

Now it's nearly 4 weeks since Cotton's op and I was hoping she'd stop being quite so territorial (she pees around her cage a lot!). But then last night happened.

They have a room which is theirs and it's about 10 x 10 foot. It's got a lot of stuff in it the moment though as we're packing so there are little hidey holes which they both like and were trying to get into at the same time last night so perhaps they were just fighting over the space. It was definitely Cotton that went for Fidget though. He was just trying to run away, bless him.

I was hoping that when we move they'll have their own room and will be able to be out in it all day as we won't need it to put other stuff in there but now I'm so scared to put them back together. Although there was no blood last night I'm sure she'd have really hurt Fidget if I hadn't separated them.

I'm sorry to go on so long but I'm just trying to explain the whole situation so everyone can get the whole picture to give me advice. I do appreciate everyone's input :D

And thank you honeywebb - at least it's not just me x

If you are moving that would be the perfect time to try for a full bond. Keep them in a different room that you don't intend to be their permanent home until you have finished moving. Then you put them together in a small space in the new room and watch them for 3 days gradually increasing the space and not separating them unless there is a serious fight. Since it's a new room it's neutral to both of them. There are full bonding guides available around.

Well I don't know what's changed but it's looking good. For the past 5 nights they've been out together in a neutral place (new house, it's all neutral).

They went nose to nose at first and then just started grooming each other! They've done that everything night this week. Cotton grooms Fidget for ages and he'll reciprocate for about 2 seconds and then expects her to do it again, lol.

There was a little attempt at mounting from both of them on the first night but nothing since then, just grooming.

What's the next step and, just for confirmation, this is a good sign yes?

Yep that's a great sign. You should keep them together all the time and keep someone supervising just to be sure for a few more days

Unfortunately I haven't been able to keep them together for that time as I've had to work!

They spent a good couple of hours together today tho. Now they're really confusing me...

Cotton spends ages grooming Fidget as usual and he doesn't reciprocate. Then Cotton (f) kept mounting Fidget (m) so I kept him calm and that was that.

Then all of a sudden Fidget was grooming Cotton but then he started mounting her loads.

What's going on???

Sometimes the dating method works best, so don't worry about that.

Rabbit bonds go through a time where they tet the heirarchy and where they have to firm and confirm the hierarchy. What they are now doing is working on their heirarchy. They will need to try and work it out and hopefully it will remain amicable :)

Hello,

Im new to bunnies too so by no means an expert. If you havent already found it there are stickys at the top of the Behaviour and bonding section that has lots of good advice on what to expect and how to manage bonding.
Sending you lots of bunny bonding vibes :D

Back