• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits weight loss after diet change. Questions...

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi we took two of our rabbits to the vet last week. Fuzzy who has severe molar problems was going for a check up to see how he was doing and if they'd allow us to continue with the metacam treatment. Scruffy went for his front tooth dental (one week earlier than usual). Well anyway we always get the vets to weigh them (so they'd be on record as well as for our knowledge) and when weighed they had both dropped from 2.0 and 2.1 to 1.6 and 1.66kg. (And if those two have lost weight then it is most likely the others have as well)

The vet did ask us if we brought the correct rabbit and we said yes it definitely was him. We explained about the change of the diet onto the pellets and he seemed fine as though that must be the reason for the weight loss. We explained what happened to one of our other rabbits Harmony who got a calcium problem and got told to reduce the amount of pellets in early December for all the rabbits. He said to increase Scruffy and Fuzzy's pellets. One egg cup is 20g of pellets which was what i had been putting in, i put two egg cups in for all rabbits today.

I am confused we thought we had to cut down on the pellets and now we are being told to increase them. I am worried about the weight loss, was it because of the reduced pellets? That is the only thing different since we finally weaned them onto just pellets around November time. They also don't get certain veg anymore like curly kale. And the fact the pellets are always all gone by the next morning means they are definitely eating so could there be an illness and if there is i can't see any signs other than the weight. Can anyone help? (sorry for the essay i am just trying to get everything to make sense)

The vets told us excel are brilliant. I have read on here though that people say the best is science selective but i cannot find them anywhere and the vet did say to us the excel pellets we are using should be fine.

Scruffy and Fuzzy have always stayed around the same weight since 1 year old always been in the 1.8 to 2.1kg range and never dropped so much within a month. The only thing i can put it down to is the pellet reduction because they have been eating and drinking. Fuzzy although has the more severe dental problem and limited time with us now has always loved eating hay and eats a lot of it. Scruffy does eat hay but i don't see him much, i have sneakily seen him when he thinks no humans are around so at the moment i think the pellet reduction is the cause.

I have seen no signs of illness and they are all eating/drinking. I was thinking of keeping to the increased amount until Scruffy next goes to the vet for his monthly front tooth dental and ask the vet about it then. Unless we have to go before that time for whatever reason.

Back