• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finding my rabbit a wife!

alx008

Warren Scout
I have a 5 month old lop ear. I had him operated so no baby rabbits for us :cry: - and also vaccinated.
Now for the wife!
I have been to see the local RSPCA as they do the bonding on their premises and they have a 4 year old female who would be suitable but she is quite overweight sadly, not sure if she is the right rabbit for us, although she has lost 1/2 kg already with the RSPCA she is apparently quite aggressive over food...
I am going to see another rescue centre on Saturday to see if they have any suitable females as they also do the bonding on their premises.

But I my heartstrings are tugging at finding a baby rabbit, there are so many advertised at the moment! If I got a baby girl I would have her neutered as well.

As my rabbit is so young would bonding be easier or should I stick with plan A and go with the RSPCA?

Greenleaf animal rescue have got some babies in at the moment.

Search for them on here - I think they have a list!

But how easy would they be to bond, I am nervous of introducing a rabbit to mine, and I would not even think about trying if he wasn't so young... Is it easier at his age to accept a mate?

I can't see him being any more difficult to bond than any other rabbit.

You would be better getting a female who is about 5/6 months though because then the rescue should have had her spayed. You won't be able to form a lasting bond until she's spayed really (it happens - but unlikely - they would most likely fall out when her hormones kick in).

A lot of people take their rabbits to 'choose their own friend' type of thing (not sure how that works!).

I'm sure the RSPCA would help you bond a rabbit you have rescued regardless of where it's from, if you give a donation of course.

Thanks for that advice, I did not realise that the bond could be broken once a female was neutered.

Back