• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lack of grass!!

LittleJo

Young Bun
Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but am hoping someone will help!
I've got 2 rescue bunnies, had them 2 years this year.
I have quite a big garden, but the problem I have, is they've eaten all the grass! My garden is slowing turning to moss and mud.
Obviously, I knew they'd eat all the grass, but not as quickly as they are, I thought the grass would have time to grow back a bit, but it doesn't!
I have to put them out so they get their exercise, but they're constaantly eating, and if they keep going the way they are, the grass will never grow back!

I've tried getting toys for them to play with, but they're really not interested - if they can't eat it, they don't want to know!

Has anyone got any idea's that I can pinch, to stop the bunnies eating the grass, but also to stop them getting bored?!

Jo

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but am hoping someone will help!
I've got 2 rescue bunnies, had them 2 years this year.
I have quite a big garden, but the problem I have, is they've eaten all the grass! My garden is slowing turning to moss and mud.
Obviously, I knew they'd eat all the grass, but not as quickly as they are, I thought the grass would have time to grow back a bit, but it doesn't!
I have to put them out so they get their exercise, but they're constaantly eating, and if they keep going the way they are, the grass will never grow back!

I've tried getting toys for them to play with, but they're really not interested - if they can't eat it, they don't want to know!

Has anyone got any idea's that I can pinch, to stop the bunnies eating the grass, but also to stop them getting bored?!

Jo

Thats like asking a child to not eat sweeties put infront of them :) It's just not going to happen :lol:

Could you buy some turf and possibly make a 'grassy box' for them to put in a run if they have one and not let them free-range into the garden?

Tried that!
Was gone by lunch time! Any they didn't get, was blown around the garden, which my boyf wasn't very impressed with!
They're such little piggies, although they're not fat bunnies!

Tried that!
Was gone by lunch time! Any they didn't get, was blown around the garden, which my boyf wasn't very impressed with!
They're such little piggies, although they're not fat bunnies!

They dont need grass, so restricting them from it is no bad thing, as long as they have plenty of hay they will be fine :)

Thats like asking a child to not eat sweeties put infront of them :) It's just not going to happen :lol:

Could you buy some turf and possibly make a 'grassy box' for them to put in a run if they have one and not let them free-range into the garden?

Haha, I know it is!
Thats a good idea. They have a run as they can't free-range as there are too many cats where we live, we have a pond, and our fences aren't very good, so I'm sure they'd find their way out!

Will try and do something with a "grassy box" though, thank you!

They dont need grass, so restricting them from it is no bad thing, as long as they have plenty of hay they will be fine :)

My only concern is that they wont get proper exericse and running around time if I don't put them out during the day.
My only option is to bring them in the evenings for a bit for a hop.

Back