• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy red eyes.

Snooba

Warren Scout
Hello bunny lovers, again.

After recovering from Mandy's death (if you can call that recovery, I still cry when I remember her), I decided to get a new bun, as the house just felt too empty.
And so, Billy came home 2 weeks and a half ago (the names as you might have guessed, come from the Cartoon Network show "Billy & Mandy".

I was told he was 2 months old, but I am suspecting he was actually months and a half, as he was the smallest of all the buns there. But it was love at first sight, and so now he is here.

Today I was taking pictures of him, and I noticed his left eyelids were a bit redder than usual, and the fur around his eye was wet. Clear wet though, no white discharge.

My vet is away on vacation, so I crawled the internet, and the most likely thing might be conjunctivitis, so I just gave his eye a drop of saline solution. I also read of a cream based on terramycin, so I might look into that later.

Whats the prognosis for this type of thing?. The examples I saw around the web are basically of bunnies whose eye were about to explode from the infection, and they really aren't of much help.

I doubt its molar issues, as he just passed the two month mark.

He likes to bury himself in a huge bag of his alfalfa hay, so it might have been debris from it that started the whole issue. I am going to be putting his "playtime food" on a bowl now (he always has hay in his cage, but I like to have more outside, as he seems to like to take a few bites of it and keep running).

Pics of Billy below :)

A little sleepy.
Billy-2.jpg

His first try at a few greens, to get the gut used to eating them.
Billy-1.jpg

He is such an adorable fellow, and his personality is the opposite of Mandy's. This one runs over hard wood floor like nothing, Mandy was terrified of it. Drinks from a bowl and likes any food.
It seems this one is a true Holland Lop, as Mandy was sold to me as a Holland Lop, but it turned out to be a Cinnamon (2.5 times bigger :love: ).

He can already recognize the sound of the fridge when it opens, and it dashes towards it every time. He KNOWS there is food inside, the smart fella :p

Anyway, cheers!

I don't know what to suggest other than seeing a vet.
I hope it's nothing serious.
I also wanted to say I have Grim to match your Billy who is gorgeous. :D (His full name is Grimlock but I knew I'd shorten it and I love that cartoon.)

Well, the eyes seems to be better today, not as red, and the wet area around it seems to be smaller, so thats a good start.
I managed to get in touch with my vet, and she first recommended to wash the eye 5 times a day with tea, and if that doesn't make things better, to use an antibiotic eye drops that she recommended me.

Back