• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What exactly is 'spring fever'?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Excuse my ignorance, but this time last year I only had one bunny! Do they actually get more frisky around this time of year?

Tango had a go with Finx for the first time since I first introduced them in September, I was shocked! Finx ran and hid behind me. I wondered if it was because I'd extended their space onto the patio, and he felt he had to make sure he was still in charge, but then I read on here about spring fever..?

When the temperature starts to increase for spring the wild bunnies get very excited and start breeding and getting lots more exercise. It happens also to domestic rabbits although neutered rabbits less so than unneutered rabbits. I'm not sure how it affects indoor rabbits, I guess it depends on how you heat your house.

When the temperature starts to increase for spring the wild bunnies get very excited and start breeding and getting lots more exercise. It happens also to domestic rabbits although neutered rabbits less so than unneutered rabbits. I'm not sure how it affects indoor rabbits, I guess it depends on how you heat your house.

Indoor rabbits also get a bit frisky. My lionheads have been chasing a bit more than is usual and Mischa has, erm, been getting it on with Mini.

Yep, my two have been acting a bit odd lately :lol: There's been a fair bit of humping and chasing going on. It's nothing to worry about unless you see signs of aggression.

It's there on an instinctual level for spayed/neutered bunnies but it causes a mild version of what you see in wild rabbits.

My Munch has it really bad :roll: He keeps rounding his females up like a wild stag and is grunting for England. Tilly does it back to him for a while then they swap :shock: It's tiring just watching them :)

mine do more binkys as spring approaches and have lttle chase games and arthur gets h so very humpy! you would almost forget he is neutered and old!!! :shock::lol:

Must be "spring fever" as mine are all neutered and been fine last 4 month. Indoor buns, but access to half patio and some grass at weekends. As the weather has improved, I gave them the whole of the patio and grass and they have been fine all week (I'm off due to halfterm) , then today Chloe and Poppy had a major spat with lots of fur everywhere. So they have all been confined to dining room again :(

mine do more binkys as spring approaches and have lttle chase games and arthur gets h so very humpy! you would almost forget he is neutered and old!!! :shock::lol:

:lol: It's the same with Boris! He's been neutered for 4 and a half years now yet he's the one who gets most affected by this, and not Bella who is unspayed! He always looks confused afterwards the poor guy, as if he's thinking "Ok, what the heck did I just do?" :shock: :lol:

When does it end!

When does it end! My two neutered girls are at each others throats! They each have their own cage so we've made it so only one of them is getting out at a time but they are trying for each other through the cage bars! We seperated them into different rooms for the last few days but the apartment isn't big enough for the cages to go anywhere else really, and it meant that there was a few evenings where one of them didn't get out to play.

Thinking of bringing them for a drive tomorrow, we tried over the last few days the two of them together (and watched by two of us) in the bath tub (pretty much the only neutral space left) they were fine while we were there even a little grooming! but then tonight trying to get through the cages to attack each other!

They were great friends a few weeks ago! I want friends again!

When does it end! My two neutered girls are at each others throats!

How long have they been bonded for? Mine only do it when I let them out on grass - so seems really strange. After a day of confinement my two girls were OK again and this morning they are grooming each other! But I daren't let them out in the garden as "Spring Fever" only seems to be affecting them outside. Not so :lol:

When does it end! My two neutered girls are at each others throats! They each have their own cage so we've made it so only one of them is getting out at a time but they are trying for each other through the cage bars! We seperated them into different rooms for the last few days but the apartment isn't big enough for the cages to go anywhere else really, and it meant that there was a few evenings where one of them didn't get out to play.

Thinking of bringing them for a drive tomorrow, we tried over the last few days the two of them together (and watched by two of us) in the bath tub (pretty much the only neutral space left) they were fine while we were there even a little grooming! but then tonight trying to get through the cages to attack each other!

You need to decide if you're going to try and bond them together or not. If so you need to bond them properly and not separate them at all. If you are going to keep them separate you shouldn't let them go near each others cages as it is bound to cause fighting as they see each other as intruders onto their territory.

We got our two at the end of feb last year - a week later spring fever hit them and omg they became sooooo naughty and my sweet tia just kept mounting rupert none stop!!! I thought i was gonna have to seperate them at one point! :shock:
The temp keeps rising then falling again here at the mo, but now its getting warmer, they are definitely getting naughty again! dont ya just love spring fever!?!? :shock::shock::shock::lol:

You need to decide if you're going to try and bond them together or not. If so you need to bond them properly and not separate them at all. If you are going to keep them separate you shouldn't let them go near each others cages as it is bound to cause fighting as they see each other as intruders onto their territory.

I want them bonded, will be better for them and easier for me. Separating them is a nightmare the apartment just isn't big enough and having one cage smack dab in the middle of the hall is not a winner :(

They've been bonded about 6 months before this, they're just coming up on a year old. I know I probably need to re-bond them but it seems more likely to cause problems if I try now while they're still like this.

Back