• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

E cuniculi and humans

lja401

Warren Scout
Hello
This may sound a bit strange but here goes....
My rabbit Noel lives inside and has EC. I have been very poorly these past 5 weeks with 3 separate sickness bugs. I keep getting ill and doctor said I keep picking up viruses because my immune system is low. Could I have picked up EC from my rabbit? I know it is very rare but I am worrying about it. I have called vet to ask but they haven't called back yet. Many thanks.

I think it's possible for humans to get EC, but I don't know what the symptoms would be. I would be interested to see the responses to this as I have a suspected EC bun inside too and my OH gets ill a lot! :?

Hi,

i was worried about this when my rabbit had EC and discussed it with my vet. He said there has only been two known cases where a human has caught it from a rabbit and thats when a man with aids caught it and there was a possibility where a little boy who was havin chemotherapy caught it. I really wouldnt worry unless you had a serious condition or was undergoing serious treatment etc

As outlined above: only those with exceptionally low immune system can even possibly get Ec - so end stage HIV, those undergoing substantial chemo etc

I have Hepatitis C and have looked after several active EC buns with no worries at all.

In addition the 'form' of EC you get is not at all like the form the rabbit gets (you can look it up - but as I recall it is confined to something to do with the eye).

To echo the others, my brother is on high level immunosupressants and we've got so many bunnies that likely we have carriers here and he's never had any sort of problems :)

To echo the others, my brother is on high level immunosupressants and we've got so many bunnies that likely we have carriers here and he's never had any sort of problems :)

Im on those same immunosuppressants. I had no idea humans could catch EC :shock:

Im on those same immunosuppressants. I had no idea humans could catch EC :shock:

I am also on various immunosuppressants to help prevent rejection of my transplant kidney. We suspect that Dolly may have EC, as she is showing some of the symptoms. Because of my condition, we are having Dolly and her husbun, Marley tested for it tonight as a precaution. If they are both positive, they will be on a 6 week course of panacur and then regular worming after that.

Do you think this is sensible, or OTT? I know its unlikely that i get it, but my parents are worried, and dont want to take the risk, which i think is fair enough. Shame they arent the ones paying the vet bill though!! :roll::lol:

There's no point in having the other rabbit in a pair of rabbits tested, as the test only shows exposure, not active infection. If one bunny tests high for it, the other will.

I do think people who are immuno compromised should probably be a careful with EC, but I agree that anyone else would be fine.

There's no point in having the other rabbit in a pair of rabbits tested, as the test only shows exposure, not active infection. If one bunny tests high for it, the other will.

I do think people who are immuno compromised should probably be a careful with EC, but I agree that anyone else would be fine.

Thank you. Ill discuss it with my vet later on today.

My vet advised it was only really a problem for severly imune compromised people as said, also we were advised that my pregnant sister avoided contact as although unlikely to be a problem it was better to play it safe.

I checked into this as Brownie had active EC whilst ai was pregnant. Although pregnancy does cause some immunosuppression, sensible basic hygiene is sufficient and as Parsnipbun said it's only the severly immunosuppressed that are at risk.

Remember that the EC spores are shed in the urine so that's what you need to be careful of and not eat/drink it etc!:mrgreen:

Back