• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hate the sun, so much!!!!! shed help advice please.

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Well my shed is in full sun and we cannot move it, we insulated it in back in December with celotex insulation ( http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/190544 ) , the walls and the roof is insulated then has plywood covering it inside.

The problem is we have windows which we cant open and they heat the shed up alot, also the roof gets very hot on the outside, Last summer without the insulation it got to 30 degree's or even hotter, luckily I put the bunnies out before it reached this temperature. I just dont want it to reach the boiling temps it did last year.

we ordered 2x 8x4 ft x 3ft high runs to attach to the shed for the rabbits to go on their own in the day time, if it is hot. the runs will be coming this weekend but wont be up for another week or so as we need to build decking so it is level to put the runs down, then we need to put in the cat flaps.

How can we keep the shed cool?? could we put in a false roof, get a gazebo, blinds????? we have a stable door, which we can keep open ounce we build a secure second mesh door.

HELP needed as im so worried they will cook or something....... :cry:

Could you take out the windows and replace them with galvanised mesh? Would have to make sure the rain can't get in.

I suppose we could try, but then in the winter the shed would get too cold :( so much to worry about :cry:

You could have roll up, roll down tarpaulins on the outside so you can close them or open them. Or make it so you can swap the 'window' for the 'mesh' in like April/May and Oct/Nov, for example.

You could have roll up, roll down tarpaulins on the outside so you can close them or open them. Or make it so you can swap the 'window' for the 'mesh' in like April/May and Oct/Nov, for example.

Don't you have something similar using beach mats?

I think it was you anyway :? :lol: :oops:

We took out the perspex on the window in the wendyhouse and replaced with mesh for ventilation, but in late October when it got cold we put the perspex back in, and will take it out again when it starts warming up again :thumb:

Don't you have something similar using beach mats?

I think it was you anyway :? :lol: :oops:

I use beach mats but for permanent roll up roll down stuff on hutches I also use a plasticky thing. I use the beath mats on my enclosures and around run edges in the cold.

OP, Could you use beach mats or other reflective material over the top and round the sides to reflect the heat away?

I have a stable door in my shed, as no windows at all.As Im moving I decided I wouldnt put them in.

The stable door has an extra top door,a frame with double sided mesh to keep out cats etc, but lets the light/air in.

We have two windows in the buns shed, and we put in this vent on the side too http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=436146.

We can open it for airflow in summer. One window is kept as perspex, the other is meshed and we have a flap outside that we can flap up/down to shut or open it.

In winter, I simply cover the inside of the vent and mesh window with a few layers of bubblewrap and stick it down with grey insulating tape. I do the same on the outside with clear waterproof tape that's used on greenhouses etc. I also stuff any spaces with bubblewrap, as the way we've done them means there's an inch or so gap. In the coldest weather, I also bubblewrap over the perspex window but really that's only needed in 1degrees temperatures.

I had a similar problem but what I did was create a false roof on top. Use some timber beams and screw it to the top of the roof and then get some corrugated bitumen sheets and screw them to the timber beams. The bitumen sheets really absorb all the heat and because of the timber the air circulates underneath them and not much transfers into the shed. It made a BIG difference and the inside doesn't get nearly as hot.

These are the sheets I used:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/bitumen-corrugated-sheet/invt/240039/

One of my sheds is in full sun and last summer, I painted it cream so that it looked 'pretty'. But an added bonus was that the light colour really helped to deflect the sunlight and therefore kept it much cooler. Might be a simple solution that will help?

I took a photo incase my description wasn't clear. You can't see the vertical timber, but you can see that there is something there :)
falseroof.jpg

As long as you use timber to lift it off the roof you could use that, yes. I wouldn't have anything stuck straight to the roof because if it gets hot the heat will just transfer into the roof and then into the shed.

Back