• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay recommendations for a dental Bun please

Sometimes, no amount of hay will stop the need of dentals, but can keep the time between them increased :)

Something really stalky is best, in my opinion, as they have to chew it more which forces the teeth to grind more, hence wearing it down.

We use Timothy & Rye hay (www.hayforpets.co.uk) and its always demolished, however, we're at 10 weeks between dentals roughly at the moment :)

Hope this helps!

Sometimes, no amount of hay will stop the need of dentals, but can keep the time between them increased :)

Something really stalky is best, in my opinion, as they have to chew it more which forces the teeth to grind more, hence wearing it down.

We use Timothy & Rye hay (www.hayforpets.co.uk) and its always demolished, however, we're at 10 weeks between dentals roughly at the moment :)

Hope this helps!

anything that will slow down the growth a bit would be great :)
I will definitely get some Timothy and Rye hay and try her on that :)
10 weeks!! :shock: Hope Bella wont need one that often, she is 4 next month and when she was 2 she had a dental on her incisors and yesterday she had to have a tooth removed and spur and some teeth filed. do you think she will have problems regularly?

the vet reckons she might need another dental in 3 months, they said this last time about her incisors, luckily * touch wood* they have'nt caused any problems since. :)

anything that will slow down the growth a bit would be great :)
I will definitely get some Timothy and Rye hay and try her on that :)
10 weeks!! :shock: Hope Bella wont need one that often, she is 4 next month and when she was 2 she had a dental on her incisors and yesterday she had to have a tooth removed and spur and some teeth filed. do you think she will have problems regularly?

the vet reckons she might need another dental in 3 months, they said this last time about her incisors, luckily * touch wood* they have'nt caused any problems since. :)

Without my vet seeing the teeth i couldnt comment, dental bunnies sometimes need one frequently, other dental buns need one a year.

Ginger, at her worst needed 3 int he space of 2 months. Biccy needs one a year roughly :)

Without my vet seeing the teeth i couldnt comment, dental bunnies sometimes need one frequently, other dental buns need one a year.

Ginger, at her worst needed 3 int he space of 2 months. Biccy needs one a year roughly :)

I hope she will only need one a year :roll:
Good luck to Biccy and Ginger hope they dont need many dental's this year :)

Poor ginger, was she born with teeth problems?

I hope she will only need one a year :roll:
Good luck to Biccy and Ginger hope they dont need many dental's this year :)

Poor ginger, was she born with teeth problems?

Yes, Ginger was born with all manner of problems, due to bad breeding :roll: (she's from a rescue). Her teeth don't line up, she has roots growing into her jaw, her kidneys don't work properly, she has a lifelong problem with respiratory tract infection issues and had very poor muscle tone, genetic deformation of the tear ducts. She's very special :)

But she's absolutely bloody beautiful and is our little princess :love:

Yes, Ginger was born with all manner of problems, due to bad breeding :roll: (she's from a rescue). Her teeth don't line up, she has roots growing into her jaw, her kidneys don't work properly, she has a lifelong problem with respiratory tract infection issues and had very poor muscle tone, genetic deformation of the tear ducts. She's very special :)

But she's absolutely bloody beautiful and is our little princess :love:

Poor Ginger :cry: at least she is with you and Biccy now and get all the love and care she deserves :love: :) By looking at your sig with the pic of her she looks really healthy and normal, its amazing that buns just get on with life, sometimes not good as they can hide illnesses so well that un experienced new rabbit owners dont see anything wrong :( Luckily when Bella refused her treat and pellets on Monday we got an appointment within an hour and they found a spur which was digging into her tongue .within the next 24 hours she had the op and is now recovering. Thanks to RU I know the signs of an illness and can act fast :)

Hope Ginger Continues to do well she's a gorgeous bun! :love:

Back