• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gimli has no testicles???

When I asked my vet about Gimli's neuter (he's 7months now and scent marking like crazy) he said that he would rather not neuter him as he cannot feel any testicles which either means he has none or they're inverted (im sure thats what he said), I am very upset by this as I wanted to have gimli paired with another bunny by the summer, would it be okay to pair him with a spayed doe or would that just stress her? I do trust my vet I have done for years, and he could tell you the sex of my rabbit with a blink of an eye whereas the other vet kept changing her mind. Sorry if its a bit rambly :?

It is possible to neuter a rabbi :)lol: or a rabbit, I couldn't quite bring myself to correct that) with undescended testicles but it can be a more complicated operation; although one I have known done on a few bunnies and my own Sky had one undescended testicle. First the testicle needs to be identified which might be done by scan or a laparoscopy (I think that's the word).

It's actually more important for them to be neutered because, due to the fact that the testicles is inside the body and functioning at a higher temperature, they have a much higher likelihood of having testicular cancer.

If your vet won't do it it might be worth looking for a vet to refer to that will be able to do it.

Undescended testicles do happen, the procedure for neutering is more invasive and complex, but can be done. Often its just one testicle that is undescended, but i would imagine the operation would be similar for both.

The answer to your question re bonding would be a resounding no unfortunately i would think, his hormones will be controlling him and he will more than likely pester the living daylights out of a spayed girlie, who could become rather fed up with it and turn on him, causing both stress and/or injuries to both, requiring not just expensive vet bills, but seperation anyway, so it seems a bit pointless right now.

It's great that you're looking to do the best for your bunny, but i do think your vet is going to need to think about the operation if possible?

ETA: DAMN YOU SKY!!! :lol:

Back