• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am so sad and upset about Ted and Rosie

martlou

Warren Veteran
Some people will know that Ted and Rosie's bond has been damaged by possibly his illness, possibly their temporary separation at the vet (this was unavoidable to please don't tell me they shouldn't have been separated). Currently we have one in a large puppy pen and one free in the room, and they swap over every few hours. This is until Ted has finished his medicines (end of tomorrow) and we've given it a couple of days until his smell goes back to normal.

We've been given very clear advice about how to tackle the rebonding process by Angie at BARC who bonded them for us in the first place and has done numerous bonds. I'm just really scared it's not going to work. Poor Teddy just wants to be friends, but tonight everytime he's gone over for a sniff through the bars Rosie has tried to bite him on the nose. I've just been in tears again as I'm so sad about this situation :cry::cry::cry: and desparately want them to be back together again :cry::cry::cry:

Oh no I'm really sorry I can imagine how upsetting it must be I'd feel the same if it happened

I'm sending you hugs and hoping it will all go back to normal for you

Ruthie xxx

poor little Ted I hope they do rebond. I had the same problem with Roly and Honey when she was in the vet for a few days but they were OK after a few hours on neutral territory with me acting the ref. :(

:( I'm sorry they're still not friendly with each other, must be horrible to see. I'm sure you've been given great advice on how to get them back together and hope it all goes well once you get started and we get some happy Ted & Rosie pictures soon!

Gosh how stressful for you :cry: But please don't read too much into Rosie trying to bite him on the nose, it is perfectly normal behaviour for territorial animals in this situation, it is no indication as to whether or how easily they will rebond. It does of course indicate that Rosie is naturally quite territorial so you will need to be very strict about rebonding on neutral territory and taking care when you transfer them back to their original pen, but I wouldn't panic about this behaviour at the moment, it sounds pretty normal. Good luck xx

Gosh how stressful for you :cry: But please don't read too much into Rosie trying to bite him on the nose, it is perfectly normal behaviour for territorial animals in this situation, it is no indication as to whether or how easily they will rebond. It does of course indicate that Rosie is naturally quite territorial so you will need to be very strict about rebonding on neutral territory and taking care when you transfer them back to their original pen, but I wouldn't panic about this behaviour at the moment, it sounds pretty normal. Good luck xx

Thank you, that's reassuring. Most of the time I'm quite optimistic about it but every now and then it really upsets me. We've got a very strict (and take it slow) plan to start on Friday night / Saturday morning - 10-15 mins 3 times a day in the bathroom which is completely neutral, extending this time a bit at a time for about a week before we move to the next step.

Thank you everybody.

Please don't get upset by it. I've had to rebond Cheeky and Tilly twice before after vet stays and the last time I even added a rabbit as well :D It will be OK. :thumb:

Sending rebonding vibes and big (((Hugs)))) xxxx

As has been said, this is normal bunny behaviour and doesn't mean the bond can't be successful later. xx

I really hope it all goes smoothly for you. It must be really hard watching them on their own. Good luck with the rebond.:wave:

I can imagine how upsetting it must feel. Sometimes you can't avoid having to split them up when one of them has health problems - we very nearly had to split Fay from Kenco when she was poorly last weekend, and just kept them together by the skin of our teeth really.
I really hope you can manage to get them rebonded. I know it must feel very very stressful and upsetting right now, but keep optimistic if you can about their future as I really hope that you will be able to rebond them. I'm glad you've got some good advice about how to go about it. Good luck x

I really feel for you, I would be gutted too if that happened to either of my pairs of buns :( I'm sure if you take things slowly like you plan to, it will all be fine again soon. Sending loads of bonding and peaceful vibes xxx

:cry: i would be so upset too, but they loved each other once and i'm sure they will love each other again, it's just so frustrating having to start from scratch again and not knowing for sure how it will work out, but paws crossed they will be a happy couple again before long. Good luck with the bonding xx

(Sorry not to have kept up - 3rd day of fox proofing and soooo tired) but I am sorry you're still having problems - I am sure all will be fine in time - how awful for you when you love them both dearly and one is being 'mean' to the other :cry::cry:

(Sorry not to have kept up - 3rd day of fox proofing and soooo tired) but I am sorry you're still having problems - I am sure all will be fine in time - how awful for you when you love them both dearly and one is being 'mean' to the other :cry::cry:

Thank you, you must be shattered. Hope all your hard work has made you feel more confident about your bunnies. That's exactly it though, we'd go to the ends of the earth for either of them and it's so awful to see poor Ted being attacked and picked on by Rosie. He had such a terrible start in life and wasn't expected to survive when he was handed into BARC as he was in a terrible condition and almost starved to death :cry::cry::cry: We just wanted to protect him and keep him safe :cry::cry::cry: Rosie was a stray so we don't know her story, but I wonder if she might have been aggressive in her old home and they just let her go, poor girl :cry::cry::cry: Can't bear to think about it, poor Rosie wondering cold and hungry :cry::cry::cry:

At least Ted and Rosie are safe, warm and very much loved now. Please take comfort in that. Sending hugs and noserubs for both buns. xxx

Ted and Rosie are layed down almost next to each other through the bars of the pen, let's hope that's a good sign

On a complete about turn from yesterday, Rosie is now trying to attack Ted through the bars of the cage :cry: She's also been lunging at me when I've been filling the litter tray up with hay, teeth out. She's biting, scratching and kicking when we pick her up now :cry::cry:. She caught Ted on the nose earlier, she hasn't hurt him, but it made him sneeze a lot and made him swipe at his nose with his paws. Ted's eye is looking a bit runny again so I need to ring the vet about that again tomorrow, we still have some of the cream left so will use that. In tears again, just so worried about this whole thing :cry::cry::cry:

Back