• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Landlords can't say no to rabbits (or hens!)

Geoff's people

Alpha Buck
Probably been covered before, but just in case.
Landlords are not permitted to state that you cannot keep a rabbit(s) in rented accommodation. Even if there is a no pets clause, rabbits and hens (not cockerels) are exempt thanks to the 1950 allotment act.

The links are the allotment act;

section 12
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...tual-restrictions-on-keeping-hens-and-rabbits

and the same in plain English!
http://www.property118.com/index.php/landlords-must-let-tenants-keep-chickens-and-rabbits/10688/

Amazing! I've not heard of this before. So I don't need to tell anyone about the bunnies when I move. :D

Print out the act just in case you need to show them, but legally they cant stop you so long as you bunnies don't cause a nuisance and you don't make money from them.
A lady has won a case where the housing association gave her grief about chickens!
The law was originally brought about so people in post war rationing times could provide themselves with enough protien (dig for victory/grow your own), but can now be used to protect the same animals;)

That's interesting. My contract says no pets, but my landlord has never had a problem with the rabbits. I did make sure I got it written into the small print though, just in case.

On the other hand, when I went to a rescue to get Finx a friend, one of the things they needed to see before I could take Tango home was written permission from my landlord saying I could have him at the property. I can understand the rescue's logic, but didn't know the landlord couldn't object.

I wonder if they thought about house rabbits - they can be more destructive than cats/dogs in my experience!

How hilarious...I wouldn't want to rely on it though, even if it is a technical loophole (which I'd still doubt, to be honest, as I don't see how a 1950 allotment act can trump more recent housing acts of the same legal standing). The revokation of the ban was clearly designed to be on land occupied as an allotment, even though the wording in that specific section just uses the word 'land'...which I suspect is where this person is arguing.

Ultimately, any landlord can just choose not to renew a contract you have, so even if it is a loophole, it's far better to get that agreement beforehand otherwise you might just find that your landlord simply kicks you out and you end uphaving to move every 6 months.

Wow, amazing! I am just looking for somewhere to rent and everywhere seems to be advertised as no pets!

Yes, but what I'm saying is that elsewhere in that Act (and let's be honest, it's the allotment act, regardless of any perceived loophole it was never meant to cover homes for that purpose) 'land' refers to land rented for use as an allotment...that was clearly the intention, even if the wording of that section doesn't say it. I would hate for people to start getting smug, waving it in front of their landlords, and promptly be given notice that they will have to leave at the end of their shorthold tenancy, instead of being honest and working it out up front...

Although it is the allotment act, it was in fact brought about to allow everyone in the country the right and the ability to produce fresh meat and eggs :? not just allotment holders, or landowners.
I cant find the other link right now (have set up some allotments for the local area, and had to wade through all this stuff:roll:, you garden could class as allotment for the purpose of the allotments act)
Just thought it might help some people who might otherwise have to give up their buns:love:

Sorry! the :? face was cos I know it won't be a popular piece of info, when I re read it it looked like I was being rude:oops:

Last edited:
Most people in private rented accomodation can be evicted without reason though, so you should still get permission from your landlord or he might decide that if he can't make your get rid of the rabbits he will just get rid of you.

That's cool. I wish it was like that here, whole cities have owning hens 'illegal', no matter whether you own or rent. It's completely ridiculous, dogs are much louder than hens are. Of course everyone keeps them anyway, there's a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy and as long as no one complains you're fine. Slowly things are changing, and there are also Right to Farm Acts that help people fight it, but it's still crazy that in this day and age people have to hide their pet hens. :lol:

Just want to make 2 points:

- contrary to popular belief (and Eastenders doesn't help here), it's not easy to evict tenants (legally) from privately rented accommodation - there are specific routes / rules to follow, courts are involved if not 'end of contract' notification, and reasons must be given - usually non-payment for at least 2 months.

- the Allotment Act start off "Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any lease or tenancy...etc" - so doesn't that mean that landlords can legitimately put 'no pets, etc' in the contract and the Act only applies if there is no such specific clause in your contract?

I've heard it before but personally I don't see the point in intentionally decieving and upseting a landlord, in my experience most have been very happy for me to have my buns and it seems silly to start the relationship on such a bad note.

Also if you are on a periodic tenancy or your fixed period is due to expire landlords can issue a no fault notice so they can just get rid of you. Our last landlord did so because we asked him to carry out repair work which he didn't want to do so getting rid of us was an easier option.

I'm a homeowner and I technically am not allowed poultry or game according to my title deeds. In practice, no-one's ever queried it but part of the reason why I don't want to push it by having any more than 3

edit: am in Scotland so law may be different here

Back