• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How soon after spay

Fayelou

Alpha Buck
Should your rabbit be eating?

Simba has been spayed today and operation was a success. She has been home now for 3 hours and not touched food yet (but this isn't unusual for her after a car journey, she normally starts eating again about now).

Just want to know when I should start syringe feeding if needed etc xxx

amy started eating after about 5 hours or so i think
just leave her alone with all the things she absolutely loves and after a bit she will start to eat takes time :thumb:

She has banana, carrot, dill, pellets and milky button drops from Pets at home in her bowl (she normally LOVES these, even though I give them very rarely as I know they aren't good for her).

No eating yet but she was grooming herself just now (not the wound) so that was nice to see

When flopsy was spayed two weeks ago I had to hand feed her to get her eating. Took her over 24 hours before she started eating on her own. The only food she would initially eat was freshly washed parsley and coriander. Good luck, I know what a worrying time it is

My Matilda took a good 24 hours to eat her 'naughty foods' and hay and nearly 2 days before she was on pellets x

Thank you so much for your replies, this is very reassuring.

Simba has not eaten (apart from I think a tiny nibble on some spinach). I held some carrot in front of her and she scented it, so hopefully she will go for it later. Poor thing still looks really gloomy, but I guess 24 hours haven't even passed yet.

I will buy some fresh coriander today and see if that helps, she normally loves it x

I hope she is eating by this afternoon. If the coriander or other foods haven't tempted her 24 hours after her spay I would phone the vet for advice. Do you have metacam for her today?

My girls didn't eat for about 24 hours after their spays. First thing they would eat was dandelion leaves.

She was eating this morning :love:

Perked up a bit today and she is being so brave. She has eaten VERY little but she was digging in her bowl for her milky button treats (which I would only give her in a stuation like this). She has poo'ed and wee'd fine and even moved about a bit.

What a brave girl :love:

She was eating this morning :love:

Perked up a bit today and she is being so brave. She has eaten VERY little but she was digging in her bowl for her milky button treats (which I would only give her in a stuation like this). She has poo'ed and wee'd fine and even moved about a bit.

What a brave girl :love:

Excellent news, sounds like she is recovering well :)

Back