• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

getting a second bunny

PeachyDragon

Young Bun
So my plan is... get Luna Spayed. It's time... then a few weeks down the line... get a baby male bunny...
I was considering adopting a bunny that needs a new home but I'm scared bonding might not work out as easily that
way... so I will get a small bunny and keep them separate when unsupervised at first... Later I will gradually
introduce them and the new bunny will have to be neutered when the time comes...
Does this plan sound at all feasible?

To be honest, that plan sounds less likely to work (or rather more chance of not working) than the other plan.

Do you have rescues over there? Do they neuter males? If they do, could you take your girlie to date the boys and choose her own? That gives the biggest chance of success.

Then I think you might have to be prepared that whoever you take on, there is a strong chance they won't bond and will have to remain separate for life.

Is that something you're able to feasibly do?

I will have to make a plan that allows that. I just think Luna needs a friend... she seems to be changing every month
and lately she has a limited behavioural pattern... eat the curtain or lounges about under the coffee table. I don't mind but
I have found that she plays with me less... since I obviously don't understand bunny games well enough.

Ok, if you can make a plan that allows it then that's grand :)

I still think an adult is better than a baby because you know what hormones have done to the bunny. If you take on a baby then you won't know what the hormones are going to do, and so you won't know if it's going to make them aggressive, for example.

I had my baby girl Finx spayed when she was old enough, then adopted Tango from a rescue centre. Thankfully they neutered him there. Then I slowly introduced them in an area that was neutral to both (the bath, actually :lol:) and very slowly increased the length of time and amount of space they had together.

Now they live together permanently :D

It's scary stuff, but from what I've learned on here it's easiest if both are spayed/neutered and they are introduced on neutral territory. If you have a back-up plan for the new bun if they don't get on, I'd say go for it! Bunnies are best in twos :love:

Back