• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I want to reduce my hay wastage

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
N&T have 2 litter trays inside their shed, big underbed storage boxes. Inside them I have a basket which I put a stone in (to keep them from tipping it over) and I fill it with hay. This works pretty well most of the time but they also decide to pee in it every day or two.This ruins all the hay in there, so I end up chucking it away. It's like a really big handful that takes two hands to hold it all, so it's quite a lot when you times it by 2 and then multiply it by the week.

They won't eat hay out any kind of wall hanging dispenser thing, they like it at mouth level. I've tried giving it in the tray by itself but they end up stomping all over it and that wastes just as much.

Any suggestions?

Mine didn't like eating from hay racks but I'm trying those Ikea bag thingies and they eats LOADS from those!

I throw tons of hay out. My lot wont use litter they just dig it and throw it all over the floor so I have to use hay and have been using even more in the cold weather

I usually fill the green bin within a week and that's still with squashing it down :lol: Anything else before the bin is collected is used at the allotment :D

I've tried those, although admittedly not for a while. They weren't interested in them :(

I may try them again next time I go to ikea, though.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Oh that's a shame. I've been finding mine eat the fresh from the tray first and then start on the hay in there. My problem is getting them to stay stuck to the wall :evil:

Can you get a smaller basket/rack to put hay on that they can't fit in? (shouldn't be hard :p) And just try to keep it topped up regularly? If they can't sit in it, then hopefully they can't wee in it, so it stays clean!

Hopscotch has his hay rack/box/thing, which he happily eats out of but can't fit in it to sit on it. I just make sure it's full before I go to work and full before I go to bed. And he has hay in his litter tray too but he seems happy to eat wee'd on hay anyway!

This is the one I use https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Bottles,+Bowls,+Racks+%2526+Baskets.9/Willow+Hay+Rack.53.html

Which I put inside of this https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Tunnels,+Tents+%2526+Mats.8/Chill+n+Snooze+Bed.455.html

So when he tips over the rack, it mainly stays in the "bed", but he can't sit in it (otherwise he would use it as a toilet!)

Back