• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there anything else i can do to help her? UD Shes gone.

*Bex*

Mama Doe
Following on from this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?331020-Swollen-eye-dental-related

Flopsy came through her dental well yesterday. The vet had to do a lot of work in her mouth, so she is pretty sore. X rays were taken and no obvious signs of abcesses were visable behind her eye and she believes her facial swelling was due to irritation of soft tissue. When flushing the duct a small amount of pus came from her nose, and also the tooth which causes the main problems has come loose and also had some pus come from it. We have a referral to Frances Harcourt-Brown on Thursday morning to see what the best way forward is and i have the x rays to take with me.

Since coming home she seems ok in herself, she is holding her head straight now and her eye is not as swollen as before but her third eyelid is very swollen and red in the corner of her eye, her cheek still looks swollen. She started eating voluntarily this morning, she isn't eating a lot at once but she is definatly eating favouring herbs over anything.

She is on the following meds

Tiacil 3 x a day for a corneal ulcer
Loxicom 9kg a day (splitting into two doses, one on a morning, one on an evening)
Baytril 1.2ml 2 x a day

Shes hopping fine, looks alert and i've seen her washing her face and she seems relaxed, has been laid out like she would normally. Shes been out for a hop around this afternoon. She's poo'd a few times but they are very small and hard and seem to get stuck to her bum, but some poo is better than no poo right?

The only thing i haven't seen her do is drink, so she hasn't wee'd. She has a water bottle available and also a bowl of water. I've managed to syringe feed her a bit of water this afternoon. I'm not sure when the last time she had a drink was, but the vet had her on IV fluids during the procedure yesterday. I think she also said she was given some SQ also?

Is there anything else i can do to make her anymore comfortable, and for anyone who has gone through anything similar, any advice? Does she sound like she is doing ok?

Last edited:
She wont be drinking having been on IV/SQ fluids, she wont be feeling thirsty at the moment.

I would just continue to encourage her to eat to keep her GI tract moving. Try softening her pellets with boiled water, she may be able to eat them then. Mix some fresh herbs in too, the strong smell may help to tempt her.

Good luck on Thursday xx

Thank you, Thursday can't come quick enough!

It was yesterday that she was on the fluids at the vet, will that still be keeping her hydrated today?

I've tried her with the softened pellets but she wasn't interested, i'm just going to give her the last of her meds for the day and will make some more and stick in some parsley and coriander. She is loving eating those today :)

Glad she is eating and seems ok in herself.

FHB is really nice, I was very happy with her today.

Thanks, I know she will be in the best hands when she gets to FHB. Odd question, but what is parking like there? I am going to have my hands full with bunny in carrier and baby in car seat so hoping I don't have to walk far!

There is a small car park, but you can also park on the street which is what I did. I was there the middle of the morning and it was fine, lots of space, if you're going on an evening it might be a bit busier on the street as people won't be at work.

PS: I'll look out for you, should be picking Scarlet up on Thursday but don't know what time.

She had taken a bit of a turn for the worse overnight, she hadn't eaten and her eye didn't look good :(

FHB has admitted her today for better painkillers, better antibiotics and syringe feeding and then tomorrow she is going to be operated on. Shes optimistic that she can help her and as long as she gets through the anaesthetic ok, the very worst case scenario is she will lose an eye but FHB thinks she can avoid that happening. Hopefully she will be able to remove problem teeth and that will drain the pus that seems to be gathering behind her eye. So fingers crossed...

I see Scarlet seems to be doing ok :D I left just before 12 so probably just missed you picking her up!

Sorry to hear that. I hope FHB can work her magic, fingers will be crossed for you tomorrow. I must have only just missed you, I arrived at 5 past 12 and was watching out for you (forgot to wear my Red fraggle t-shirt for ID purposes). Keep us posted as to how she gets on. xx

She has died.

She had a fit. FHB is in shock over it. I am distraught.

I love you Flopsy my special little girl xxxx

Back