• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Single rabbits (& help with hutch repair post 119)

vergo97

Warren Scout
I know that most people on here prefer rabbits to be kept in pairs or more and that rabbits prefer to not be alone, but I was wandering if a rabbit has been alone all his life, will he still not like living alone if he knows no different? My rabbit Freddy is outside so isn't as in contact with people as indoor rabbits and has never had a companion (he's about 5-6 years old). He doesn't seem to be depressed about being alone.

Last edited:
I know that most people on here prefer rabbits to be kept in pairs or more and that rabbits prefer to not be alone, but I was wandering if a rabbit has been alone all his life, will he still not like living alone if he knows no different? My rabbit Freddy is outside so isn't as in contact with people as indoor rabbits and has never had a companion (he's about 5-6 years old). He doesn't seem to be depressed about being alone.

Whilst your bunny has not in his adult life since leaving his mum not known what it is like to live with anther rabbit, if you saw Freddy with a wife bun you would then never consider having a lone rabbit again. When you see your own bunny snuggled up to another one it is unlikely that you would ever go back to keeping a lone bun again.

Whilst your bunny has not in his adult life since leaving his mum not known what it is like to live with anther rabbit, if you saw Freddy with a wife bun you would then never consider having a lone rabbit again. When you see your own bunny snuggled up to another one it is unlikely that you would ever go back to keeping a lone bun again.

Can't say it better than that!

My rabbit is single, but if my circumstances were different I would get him a friend. He used to be outside, but is now indoors. I really wouldn't like to see him going back to being a hutch rabbit as at least he gets more interraction with us indoors.

I think its even more important if bunnies are outside, that they have a companion.

These!

Freddy can't become an indoor rabbit because we have cats and in his hutch/run there isn't enough room for another rabbit. I know it would be best to have another rabbit for him, but surely if he has never known it, he won't be upset by not having companionship?

You will never really know if hes upset or not :( Single lonley buns... just accept their lot and get on with it... It doesnt mean he wouldnt be happier with some company.
Winter nights are long and lonely for a bun in the garden in a hutch, less time spent with them, due to dark nights, weather etc :(
Each to their own... but I couldnt bare it.

My bunny (George) is a 'singleton' and has always been - he's now 10½ years old and I have had him since he was 12 weeks old. He lives in the shed, with an outside extension and is perfectly fine. As long as you give your buns lots of fuss and love and attention I think he'll be ok. George is now far too spoilt and old to want a girlfriend - he just wouldn't have the energy or attention span!!

I would get him a friend if I could, but I'm not allowed any more pets and he lives in this which isn't big enough for another rabbit:
DSCF3924.jpg

We took on a rescue female last year to be a friend to our recently bereaved boy.

She was 5 and a half and always been on her own, the 2 weeks she was with tommy were lovely to see, she loved him instantly and was incredibly happy, sadly after only 2 weeks tommy died, maybe Twinkle wasnt a good enough replacement wife for him.

Twinkle is now totally loved up with a boy who had lived with his brother till he died. They adore each other, I love having a pair, they are outside so snuggle to keep warm in the shed, they groom each other all day and are so in love.

Having said all this having one well looked after bunny is better than having maybe lots and not giving them what they need.

My rabbits are only 2k and get on fine with the 3 cats and the neighbours cats, the rabbits know they are in charge and the cats put up with it:lol:

I have bonded a 9 year old boy (who had never had a friend and lived in a 4ft box) that a lady took on when the neighbours gave him up, with a rescue bunny who was 8 years old and who also had never had a friend.

The absolutely loved each other to bits and have never looked back. That was well over a year ago and the owners report them to be so much in love and having a lot of fun out and about.

Her set up wasn't the biggest but did pass a homecheck. To be honest, if it's big enough for one bunny it's usually big enough for two so maybe with a bit of tweeking your set up could be adapted to suit you having a pair? So long as the bunny you go for isn't huge.

I do think that bunnies on the whole do miss a friend and I see it time and time again with rabbits that come into rescue even later in life; they come alive, even just being near other rabbits so you can imagine the joy when they actually get a chum of their own.

All of this said, it is a massive commitment having bunnies at all so if an owner can't afford the time or the money (for vet bills) for two then sometimes it's better to leave things well alone and have one very well cared for rabbit rather than two that can't be managed.

Last edited:
I really don't think another rabbit could fit in with Freddy, I don't even think its officially big enough for one rabbit (the run is 2x2x5ft, not sure about the hutch). My mum said that we aren't going to get any more pets anyway :(

I really don't think another rabbit could fit in with Freddy, I don't even think its officially big enough for one rabbit (the run is 2x2x5ft, not sure about the hutch). My mum said that we aren't going to get any more pets anyway :(

Well then you have to just do the best you can to spend an awful lot of time with your bunny whatever the weather so you know he is not sad or lonely and that he has lots of stimulation.

It's a shame, but if your mum won't let you have any more, then there's not much you can do I guess.

Unfortunately, almost any rabbit kept alone (without friend(s) or at least being able to see rabbits if they won't bond) without almost constant human interaction will be lonely/depressed. A rabbit is a very social animal and I believe they can't be truly happy unless they have social interactions. Obviously some circumstances mean rabbits aren't currently bonded (but really the only 'excuse' I see as valid is the animal is ill and needs to get better before bonding), but it's the duty of the rabbit owner to provide adequate social interactions, and this is actually enforceable by law. It's a very lonely life for a single bunny kept outside. They may see humans a few times a day but it's absolutely nothing on the companionship one of their own would provide.

Your setup isn't bad, I believe it would accommodate another bunny. At least, I believe it's more important for your bun to be able to have a friend than it is to give him a bit more space. Another bunny really doesn't take up or require much more room, they'll use the same space. It would be fabulous if you could attach another run though, to give them more space.

Please consider getting him a friend. Although he doesn't 'seem depressed', it's a human emotion which we're using to anthropomorphise him. If rabbits even have the ability to feel depressed, they may not express it in the same ways that humans do - so it could be totally unnoticed by you. Also, some things you may have come to see as 'normal' behaviour from him may be him expressing distress.

It's not natural for a rabbit to be kept alone. Rabbits are naturally social animals and they NEED company for their physical and mental wellbeing.

Hi, I see you are from Newark, me too! I have three single rabbits and have also had a bonded pair before. I am a special case as I can say 100% 2 of mine are happier and healthier as singles than they were together as one bullied the other constantly. My third has never had a partner and lives as a house bunny.

Looking at your hutch/run, do you lock bunny in the hutch at night? As the run is on grass it would be easy for a fox to dig in or for bunny to dig out.

Hi Snowberry :wave:

I really would get him a friend if I could. I've looked at rescue websites but they would all say that Freddy doesn't have enough space for another bun.

Now isn't the best time to be asking my mum about getting more pets as one of our cats has something wrong with him and has just has some blood tests that have cost £120, and then we'll probably have to spend more on treating whatever he has :(

I have asked my mum about getting another run to attach to his current one, but she didn't seem to keen on the idea. I asked her quite soon after we had got the run we have at the moment, so I'll try asking again in a bit, but not now because of all the money she's just spend on Casper (the cat).

He doesn't get locked in his hutch at the moment because the ground has been quite hard so he can't really dig but I might start doing that soon. He hates being shut in the hutch though, he throws his food bowl down the ramp and tears up all the newpaper :?

Hi Snowberry :wave:

I really would get him a friend if I could. I've looked at rescue websites but they would all say that Freddy doesn't have enough space for another bun.

Now isn't the best time to be asking my mum about getting more pets as one of our cats has something wrong with him and has just has some blood tests that have cost £120, and then we'll probably have to spend more on treating whatever he has :(

I have asked my mum about getting another run to attach to his current one, but she didn't seem to keen on the idea. I asked her quite soon after we had got the run we have at the moment, so I'll try asking again in a bit, but not now because of all the money she's just spend on Casper (the cat).

He doesn't get locked in his hutch at the moment because the ground has been quite hard so he can't really dig but I might start doing that soon. He hates being shut in the hutch though, he throws his food bowl down the ramp and tears up all the newpaper :?

Would it be possible to move the hutch/run onto a patio so he can't dig? You are right he really shouldn't be locked in the hutch as it is quite small but I really don't think being on grass is safe for him. Is your garden secure, could he have time running free every day to get exercise?

I think this week some time we are going to see if he can be moved onto the patio because he is starting to ruin the grass.

The garden is secure so he can be let out, I let him out when I clean the hutch out but I haven't been able to do it much during the week because it's dark when I get home from school, but now its getting lighter (and its half term a the moment) I really should do it more. I'm at my dads house at the moment, but on Thursday when I am back at my mums I will let him out for a bit.

Back