• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

caecotroph slug

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser did one of these on his fleece quilt yestedray afternoon.:mrgreen: He has done normal poos since, so I don't think it is anything to worry about. I suppose these are to be expected from time to time from a rabbit who doesn't eat as much hay as he should. I had sprinkled some Excel apple snacks on his hay, and he hoovered them up rather quickly so they probably caused the caecotroph slug. He used to get a sprinkling of these every night, but has not been having so many treats so maybe his system is not used to them anymore.

Do you mean it was malformed so just a blob, or a long bunch of grapes properly formed?

It was like grapes, but long, in the shape of a slug, rather than bunch-like. I blame myself for putting apple snacks on a very nice hay I wanted him to eat, but he just doesn't like. I think it is Oxbow Timothy hay. I suppose I should really get rid of hays he doesn't care for and stick to ones he has shown a bit of interest in. I actually got some photos of him eating hay yesterday, but that was green oat hay.

To be honest, those are what they should look like in my experience, and I would suspect that maybe he just got distracted so didn't eat it?

I wouldn't worry too much.

This is rare for me but I disagree with Sky-O :oops: They are correctly formed I agree - this is how they should appear, but IMO they are inedible due to smell/taste due to dysbiosis. These are what Nino used to produce - up to 7-8 a day like this before we took him off the pellets and moved him to a hay only diet. x

This is rare for me but I disagree with Sky-O :oops: They are correctly formed I agree - this is how they should appear, but IMO they are inedible due to smell/taste due to dysbiosis. These are what Nino used to produce - up to 7-8 a day like this before we took him off the pellets and moved him to a hay only diet. x

Disagreement is good :thumb: Especially mature disagreement!

Do you think it may vary due to different things? So in some situations it might be distraction (especially if in minimal numbers) but in other situations it might be dysbiosis?

My Sandy lady used to produce them if she was out and about and busy but if she wasn't let out until the afternoon she would eat them all. This was very reliable behaviour from her so I'm sure it was just that she was so busy and distracted as opposed to them being manky.

I do have other who clearly produce manky ones that they don't eat (and then tread everywhere and smear them about if I don't catch them fast enough :roll:) and they do produce those in copious amounts whatever the situation.

Spenser's slug didn't smell and it is certainly not a common occurence. I do feel bad though becuase when I think about yesterday although Spenser had various hay piles to eat, they happened not to be the types he favours more. He seems to like the hay in hiis basin, but only eats it when he is in there offloading.

I've really cut down his SS pellets a lot, but he gets a decent amount of pro-fibre pellets. There is so much conflicting advice about veg I've been tending to give him a small amount rather than none, but notihing like what he used to get.

Disagreement is good :thumb: Especially mature disagreement!

Do you think it may vary due to different things? So in some situations it might be distraction (especially if in minimal numbers) but in other situations it might be dysbiosis?

My Sandy lady used to produce them if she was out and about and busy but if she wasn't let out until the afternoon she would eat them all. This was very reliable behaviour from her so I'm sure it was just that she was so busy and distracted as opposed to them being manky.

I do have other who clearly produce manky ones that they don't eat (and then tread everywhere and smear them about if I don't catch them fast enough :roll:) and they do produce those in copious amounts whatever the situation.

Yes I think you are probably right, Nino was easily distracted and so although producing excess caecotrophs he, i'm sure, would leave some through being out and about and far too busy racing around to stop and eat them. Hard to know really isn't it. x

Back