• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Simba is in for her spay!

Fayelou

Alpha Buck
And I am already worried sick....dropped her off at Ashleighs vets in Manchester at 8:30am this morning. I have taken a few days off work so I can look after her whilst she recovers.

Any tips / advice for when she comes home would be very welcome and lots of vibes please!

She is with a rabbit savvy vet, but we still worry about our babies don't we?

I can't wait to get her a lovely husbun when I moved house in a couple of weeks :love:

All the vibes in the world for a prompt recovery :)

She'll be very dosey when she gets home, give her a bunny buffet of foods so she can pick from something she may fancy.

Also, ensure you come home with 3-5 days worth of metacam for her at least, as she'll be in an awful lot of discomfort :)

Hopefully it goes well! My pair are booked in for the 28th of Febuary and I'm already scared out of my wits O: What kind of things have you got in preparation for her return? I keep thinking I'm forgetting something. xP

All the worry will be worth it when you can get her a nice husbun :D :thumb:

Thanks for the vibes :love:

She has parsley, dill, banana and carrot to come home to....Also have some milk treats from pets at home....and an indoor cage full of fresh hay (I cleaned her out again just now).

I have a dark room for her to recover in!

I would imagine buns arent keen on taking medicine after spay if they are really grumpy? I hope she takes her pain killers ok.

Any tips welcomexxx

Macie went a good 24hrs before eating anything so we had to go back to the vets the next day for gut stimulants & metacam injection. But after that and when she started eating well again she recovered really quickly. I found that she loved metacam and would quite happily lick it off the end of the syringe :roll: but I know some people find it easier to put it on a treat.

You sound like you have everything ready for when she comes home. I remember anxiously waiting for the phone call from the vet to say everything was all ok - felt like forever!

I am fussing around trying to make her bed as comfy as possible, I have laid down a mountain of hay and lots of treats, chopped up some carrot and will get the banana out when I get back with her. xxx

ooo hope it's gone well? Will they call you after the spay?

Try rubbing some smushed up banana on the end of the syringe for her meds - she might go for it (the first time! They usually wise up pretty quick to that trick!)

She used to like metacam and would lap it up from the syringe, but last time she was on it, she turned up her nose and I could only get her to take it by injecting it into some banana! So we will see how we get in. 45 mins til I can call and see how she is! xx

Update!

The operation was a success and she is just back home with me. I took her straight to her cage and left her, seems understandably annoyed! But the vet said she ate some greens this afternoon which is good.

I guess leaving her alone and checking on her every hour is the best thing to do at the moment?

Good to hear :D

Yep just keep an eye on her she'll probably be grumpy for a little while yet... and keep tempting her with lots of tasty food (good news that she's already had some greens) :thumb:

I have left her beside a bowl full of her favourite things...she never likes to eat for a couple of hours after the vets generally but I am sure she won't be able to resist the treats for long.

I have to go out for a few hours tomorrow afternoon so really hope she will be ok (probably be glad of the peace!)

Back