• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confused about Loxicom dosage

*Bex*

Mama Doe
On the label for Flopsys Loxicom it says to give 9kg once a day by mouth? The vet has also wrote this on the notes she has wrote for me.

Isn't KG a weight? I'm confused! Although the syringe does have KG wrote on it.

It's the dog medicine they have given her.

sorry i dont know much about dosages but my labrador is only on 25 (i think its in mls) but the syringe we got with the loxicom has kg on bottom (just looked) so they maybe go on that? i think id ring vets back and double check though just in case, unless someone comes along who knows about dosages :)

Rabbits have a high metabolism and require much higher doses of metacam, my 2.8kg rabbit was on a 10kg dose for a while when he had severe tooth problems :)

Around 3kg :)

Sounds about right to mean the 9kg dog dose then - can you look in the leaflet and see if it tells you how many ml are in each graduation - I think that each kg on the syringe is 0.1ml of the substance, can you check?

Edit: yep the datasheet says that the normal dose is 0.1mg/kg for dogs. Rabbits can have up to 0.6mg/kg which is 6 times higher than the dog dose, so if your rabbit weighs 3kg and is having the 9kg dog dose, then she's having 3 times the dog dose, so it does sound like a fairly mid-range dosage being suggested. I'd still suggest ringing your vet to double check if you're not sure though.

Last edited:
Sounds about right to mean the 9kg dog dose then - can you look in the leaflet and see if it tells you how many ml are in each graduation - I think that each kg on the syringe is 0.1ml of the substance, can you check?

It's 1.5mg/ml
Thank you - im useless at things like this and she's never had it prescribed before so just want to make sure im getting it right :)

On the syringe I think every kg is 0.1ml. This is the dose for dogs, they have 0.1ml for every kg of body weight. I know bunnies can have twice this and I think if it's a lot of pain even more. They are much more tolerant to the drugs than dogs. Smoo is just over 3kg and had 0.65ml for her abscess. This was 6.5kg on the little syringe.

9kg would be 0.9ml.

Thanks :D She has been prescribed it for dental complications.

Im guessing it must taste good as she gobbled it up. Shame she isn't doing the same with food :(

Hopscotch enjoys his too - which reminds me it has gone medicine o'clock :shock: oops!

Hope Flopsy is feeling better soon :(

Thanks, me too. Hoping she'll be feeling a bit better and more interested in food in the morning.

Back