• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weight gain, but not fed pellets

weedug

Mama Doe
Timmy has been gradually increasing weight since I got him a year ago.

I put him on a hay and veg (greens) diet about 6 weeks ago. First vet visit his weight had stayed the same, 4 weeks later he has put on 0.2kg. I know it's not a huge amount, but it means his weight is still going up even with the diet change.

Any ideas? He gets plenty exercise in a large run, and eats loads of hay.

I wouldn't worry. Most bunnies gain weight in the winter, even with minimal/reduced pellets. I have this theory that their metabolism slows down to allow them to survive easier during winter, but I have no evidence for this.

I would just say to make sure he is exercising (stimulate with hidden food, stuff like that) and then hopefully he will even out in spring :)

I suppose it could be muscle. It's not connected to winter as he has been steadily gaining weight since I got him a year ago. He used to sit around most of the time then.

Since he is still gaining weight, is it worth keeping him off the pellets do you think?

I suppose it could be muscle. It's not connected to winter as he has been steadily gaining weight since I got him a year ago. He used to sit around most of the time then.

Since he is still gaining weight, is it worth keeping him off the pellets do you think?

If he is doing well on a hay/veg diet then if it aint broke why try to fix it :D

Back