• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much....

pink.falling.stars

Warren Scout
does everyone sprend on their bun(nies) a month?
Ive been doing alot of research on here and asking everyone, (sorry for all these questions) I know where im gonna put my bun(nies), and what housing (NIC Cages), i know i want a rescue bun(nies). And im gonna insure the bun(nies).

I know bun(nies) are gonna be abit of money BUT I think every penny is worth it :) <3

Thanks and sorry for these questions!

x

Hi, for our two the insurance is approx £23 a month, hay around £1 (we buy a bale for £4.50 and it lasts about 4 months), veg about £6 and Science Selective pellets not sure how long a bag lasts actually but they don't get many so maybe another £2 or £3. Any toys, vaccs etc is obviously extra, so that's a total of around £33 a month minus the extras.

Hi, for our two the insurance is approx £23 a month, hay around £1 (we buy a bale for £4.50 and it lasts about 4 months), veg about £6 and Science Selective pellets not sure how long a bag lasts actually but they don't get many so maybe another £2 or £3. Any toys, vaccs etc is obviously extra, so that's a total of around £33 a month minus the extras.

thanks :) thats not to bad :) i thought it would be more! thats good then :) xD

thanks :) thats not to bad :) i thought it would be more! thats good then :) xD

We used to spend probably £20 a month more than this when we bought bags of hay from Pets at Home. it got a lot cheaper when we moved to bales :lol: (and it's much nicer hay as well). Ted and Rosie also don't eat a lot of veg - some bunnies eat huge amounts in comparison and so that obviously bumps the costs up a lot. Then again a lot of people grow their own or forage for herbs, twigs and things.

We used to spend probably £20 a month more than this when we bought bags of hay from Pets at Home. it got a lot cheaper when we moved to bales :lol: (and it's much nicer hay as well). Ted and Rosie also don't eat a lot of veg - some bunnies eat huge amounts in comparison and so that obviously bumps the costs up a lot. Then again a lot of people grow their own or forage for herbs, twigs and things.

yeah. i was thinking maybe grow my own, i have abit of space in the back :) x

I buy my hay on-line and probably spend £30 a month (2 rabbits), insurance about £24 for the pair, veg about £8 a week. Can't remember how much myxi and VHD cost.

thats not bad. how often do bunnies usually had myxu and VHD done? x

Myxo is 6 monthly and VHD is annual. Vaccination costs seem to vary quite widely - our vets do a bit of a discount when you buy both together so it's around £33 (they have to be done 2 or 3 weeks apart but you can pay for both at the same time) then Myxo is needed in between times - not sure how much they charge for a single vacc though.

Myxo is 6 monthly and VHD is annual. Vaccination costs seem to vary quite widely - our vets do a bit of a discount when you buy both together so it's around £33 (they have to be done 2 or 3 weeks apart but you can pay for both at the same time) then Myxo is needed in between times - not sure how much they charge for a single vacc though.

thats not bad thought it was like £50 per bun! :lol: im guessing vets are gonna be dear if the bun(nies) get ill or something. x

Depends if I'm paying off an emergancy vet bill or not.
Right now I'm paying off the £200 bill I got in December :roll:

Only able to pay it monthly because I used my mams credit card. Most emergancy vets want payment on the spot

ahh far do's. I'll be able to do it, on the spot. I'm applying for a jobs at the mo, so i'll have abit of money left from Student Finance after paying for my rent, food and uni stuff and other bits and bobs. And have a job which I've got a chance of getting xD x

When Ginger bun was alive I was spending £40+ per month on dentals, on top of food and bedding and everything. Now it's only around £30 a month in total.

I set aside £10 a week for mine which covers the basics (hay, vaccs, pellets, other food), and they aren't insured.

I'd say hay is the main factor in how much buns cost - if you can get baled hay and they do well on it you'll save lots of money, if you buy small bags from a pet shop you'll spend a fortune.
After that, vaccs are probably a big difference person to person - you can find out how much yours would be by asking vets in the area, although try to make sure you get someone experienced with rabbits.

I set aside £10 a week for mine which covers the basics (hay, vaccs, pellets, other food), and they aren't insured.

I'd say hay is the main factor in how much buns cost - if you can get baled hay and they do well on it you'll save lots of money, if you buy small bags from a pet shop you'll spend a fortune.
After that, vaccs are probably a big difference person to person - you can find out how much yours would be by asking vets in the area, although try to make sure you get someone experienced with rabbits.

:) thanks! thats what im deffo doing getting a vet that is experienced with bunnies :) x

I have 3 buns. My rabbit pellets last months, I buy a 25 lb bag of pellets that costs about $9. Hay is bagged so it costs $20-$30 a month but if I got bales it would only be a few dollars for a few months worth of hay probably. I use newspaper and sometimes any wasted hay as bedding.

Mine are very picky and won't eat veg but enjoy foraged things like rose petals that they get occasionally, whenever the rose bush is in bloom, so hopefully when I have a herb/flower etc garden they will enjoy flowers, herbs, the leaves off blackberries, strawberries etc.

Mine aren't insured and there's no myxi/VHD here.

If only rabbits weren't so prone to illnesses, they would be one of the cheapest pets :lol: It's just vet bills that are expensive.

I have 3 buns. My rabbit pellets last months, I buy a 25 lb bag of pellets that costs about $9. Hay is bagged so it costs $20-$30 a month but if I got bales it would only be a few dollars for a few months worth of hay probably. I use newspaper and sometimes any wasted hay as bedding.

Mine are very picky and won't eat veg but enjoy foraged things like rose petals that they get occasionally, whenever the rose bush is in bloom, so hopefully when I have a herb/flower etc garden they will enjoy flowers, herbs, the leaves off blackberries, strawberries etc.

Mine aren't insured and there's no myxi/VHD here.

If only rabbits weren't so prone to illnesses, they would be one of the cheapest pets :lol: It's just vet bills that are expensive.

ahh cool :) far do's x

Back